Purchasing Sc 300 Auto Or 5spd

I'm looking to buy a sc 300 and I want a manual, as far as I have seen they are rare and sometimes expensive. Year doesn't matter to me, as long as the car is around 100,000 miles or less. Can I do a six speed supra swap on an automatic SC 300 or does it have to be manual to begin with. If so, roughly what is the cost of the six speed transmission.

DGF

I have seen plenty of SC 300's for sale around Chicago and only ONCE have a found a manual SC. They are sought-after, people know they are a well disquised Supra. The red '92 was actually at the Lexus dealer I work with, and the sales man really didin't want to show it to me - it was going to the auction. It had 195k on it and was ragged. Really too bad... I'll let you know if I see any around here, that was over eight months ago. Good luck in your search!

Thanks, I work for a VW and Audi Dealership in Richmond, I have come across one or two manuals, but I am either looking for a black or silver 5spd, with around 100k miles. You are right they are a basically a supra (wolf) in sheeps clothing. Wierd story- I found one in a red roof in parking lot, either stolen or left for dead about a year ago. The car was unlocked, looked like it had not be driven for about a year due to the dust, the radio was stolen, shift knob ripped out, some scratches and dents and stuff, but all in all not too bad. I tried to get the person's # from the DMV but they would not give it to me. I visited the car several times and it was in the same shape/spot for about 6 months, and then out of the blue it was towed off. I guess someone beat me to the punch. I really wish I had been more diligent about finding the owner. I probably could have gotten it cheap and rebuilt it. I guess is was one of those once in a lifetime car finds and if you don't hop on it, you'll kick yourself later, like I am doing presently.

DGF

It's always hard to tell, I would have to assume that even for one of these caution must be excercised when it's that sort of miles and who knows how it's been driven? Might consider posting such a question on a Supra forum, this one seems to not be too active.

What are the mileages on the ones you indicate you found through your dealer? I could try looking at this car on Friday if you're interested as I have a meeting in Chicago in the early evening and wouldn't mind driving it myself. Hard to tell much about condition with that *really poor* photo from the near-square on front. Does not tell you much. I can try to call them tomorrow, but you know the line they will say...

There is a V-8 SC400 auto near my house that is a '92 with a flawless interior, 80k miles, two owners, and a somewhat high asking price of $8995. So they are not too far off with $4500, likley. It would make, perhaps, a good project car. Let me know what you think.

-Randy

Finding a SC300 w/ a manual transmission? A bit difficult. Not hard...just a bit difficult and takes time.

Finding all of the above AND w/ less than 100,000 miles? This makes it much harder as you have to realize that the first SC300 started in '92. And most of the manuals that I've seen on Autotrader tend to be from 92 - 95. We're talking 10 year old cars here.

I wouldn't let the mileage be a limiting factor, as the engine itself is pretty reliable. I bought my 93 early this year w/ 114,000 miles and it runs strong.