Rx 400h When Will They Really Get Here?

patt

April 15 is less than 3 weeks away so one would think the dealers would know when their first delivery will arrive and what the color/option mix will be.

Have any of you heard from a dealer on when your car will be here?

For deliveries being so close, it seems like information has been pretty sparse. We are high up on our dealer's list - high enough that we may be in the first shipment, but we haven't heard anything definate.

There are questions about some of the minor features/options that the dealers also don't seem able to answer. For example, the preliminary product information lists cruise control as a feature but doesn't say whether it is the dynamic laser cruise control. The dealer doesn't know either. The preliminary data sheet says towing-prep package is an option, but the other information I've seen doesn't mention it as an option - will it be on the cars delivered or not. None of these are important enough to us to a make a difference in whether we want the car, but I'd like to know anyway and you would think Lexus must know the answers. The cars for the first sales must be getting loaded onto the ships about now, right?

This member's post appears to be right-on: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ndpost&p=117197

The color mix is unknown at this time, but I was told by my dealer that there will be NO test-drive RX400s as there are test-drive Prius's at Toyota dealerships. The first one you drive will the one that matches your color/option choices. I agree that details are lacking. As far as choices, it's "DVD entertainment or no DVD entertainment?"

Everything else (except for wood trim, load leveling, and laser-tracking) will be included at the $50K price.

Oh, and any of you 400h owners see WWest on the road in his 300, blast by him and honk, will yah? :cheers:

And I'll just wave you on....and wish you good luck....

I NEVER accept challenges on the public roads.

But try me at Daytona next year.

Mmmmm, an RX300 vs an RX400h at Daytona.....That should be an interesting race and good publicity for Lexus and its hybrid champion! You're ON!

This member's post appears to be right-on: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ndpost&p=117197

The color mix is unknown at this time, but I was told by my dealer that there will be NO test-drive RX400s as there are test-drive Prius's at Toyota dealerships. The first one you drive will the one that matches your color/option choices. I agree that details are lacking. As far as choices, it's "DVD entertainment or no DVD entertainment?"

Everything else (except for wood trim, load leveling, and laser-tracking) will be included at the $50K price.

Yes, I've seen that post. I even mentioned in a response that it agreed with what I had been told. But data on some of the more minor features seems to be lacking. We know that whatever they are, they are probably either included or not available at all as the only true opition is suppose to be the DVD entertainment.

For instance, I haven't seen any definitative statement about whether the cruise control will be the dynamic laser cruise control or on whether the air suspension is included (which I expect is the feature people are calling load leveling here - it raises and lowers the height of the car based on drivng conditions and user setting).

The towing-prep package was marked optional on the January 27 2005 prelminary information sheet. It isn't mentioned in the short (and obviously incomplete) lists of included features in the Lexus hybrid newsletter or the letter I got from the dealer laying out the two packages (DVD and no DVD). My guess is that it is included but I'd like to know.

Why is it that the color mix for the first round of deliveries isn't known yet? Since the reason for delaying the start of sales was suppose to be to allow some inventory to be built, most of the first deliveries must already be painted.

The salesman I spoke to today said that at least initially there would only be four colors rather than the 7 in the earlier releases. He said my first choice color is one of the 4 but he didn't have the list in front of him so he couldn't tell me which ones are out. He said they will send in their requests for colors in the first delivery and then Lexus will tell them what they will get.

The salesman said he had a longer ebook of specifications he would email me but it hasn't arrrived yet. Perhaps it will answer some of the questions.

The salesman I spoke to today said that at least initially there would only be four colors rather than the 7 in the earlier releases. He said my first choice color is one of the 4 but he didn't have the list in front of him so he couldn't tell me which ones are out. He said they will send in their requests for colors in the first delivery and then Lexus will tell them what they will get.

This is a bit disturbing, as I have already chosen a color. Could this mean that I might be waiting months for a color that is not even offered? I will call the salesguy immediately to see what he knows.......

....just called the salesguy and he conferred with another salesman before telling me that as far as they know, there will be 7 colors offered. The confusion continues......!

As far as the other details, I will post if I hear or read anything interesting.

This is disturbing. I heard nothing about the limited color selection. I was just asked what colors I was interested in. I provided 3 combinations. My salesman said they would be allowed to specify which colors they should get and that delivery would not be a problem before May 15. Another dealer essentially said the same thing. Is it possible that I just chose the right colors, or, is this color thing just another rumor? By the way, the people at the NY Auto Show knew even less. They told me to talk to specific people, which I did, but the guy just told me to tell the dealer what colors I wanted.

Since it takes 3 weeks to ship these from Japan to NJ, we'd have to assume the cars are painted!!! When they had an earthquake on Kyushu I was ready to call Lexus and ask if their plant was affected. My husband told me that they'd never tell me the truth! So, I'm hoping the car will really arrive. I plan to take a drive down to the port, and see if I can see any of the cars. They must be stockpiling them already.

I spoke to a different dealer today. They are still expecting 7 colors to be offered. My guess is that if they have a pretty good idea of what colors are popular so if they do limit the colors it would probably include what most of us have chosen but the first salesman may just have had incorrect data.

They dealer I talked to today has submitted their request for colors and options (the DVD player) for the first shipment. If they get what they asked for, it will include our car ( :D ). They are expecting to have the first load of RX400's to sell on April 15.

I'm glad to hear that because I was beginning to think there was some snag in the delivery process. Three weeks ago I had talked to dealers who thought they would get an RX 400h for people to test drive in Mid March. Then the story changed to no early test drive RX400h's - you will get to test drive when the one for sale to you comes in.

I have seen information from a CA dealer that allocation will lock on Friday, April 1st for the first group of RX 400h's. She suggested if you are on a waiting list it would be a good idea to contact your dealer to confirm your order. Color selection has been going on for the past week.

Not sure if this is true for all regions ...

I have seen information from a CA dealer that allocation will lock on Friday, April 1st for the first group of RX 400h's. She suggested if you are on a waiting list it would be a good idea to contact your dealer to confirm your order. Color selection has been going on for the past week.

Not sure if this is true for all regions ...

That matches what I'm seeing in California. One dealer told me their list has already been submitted. He said to expect an email next week to let me know if my car was in the first delivery. Other dealers we have been talking to have been scurrying around for the last two weeks calling people on their lists to verify contact information, confirm that you are still interested and get color choices.

I did some back of the envelope calculations. It is about 5000 miles to California from Japan. I think cargo ships travel at about 15 to 20 knots or 17.5 to 23 mph. So it takes about 9-12 days sailing to make the trip. I figure that at a busy port it could take a day to get through customs. To get to LexRexBlue in New Jersey the via rail would be about 2750 miles more and I doubt the trains average more than 50 mph so that would be another 2 and a half days. Add another day for moving cars around including their final trip via truck. That adds up to 11 to 14 days for the West Coast and 14 to 19 days for the East. If they go by ship all the way to the East Coast, there is even more time.

If they are really going to have cars at most of the dealers on the 15 (and that seems to be what the dealers I've talked to expect) then all or most of them must already be on their way.

I did some back of the envelope calculations. It is about 5000 miles to California from Japan. I think cargo ships travel at about 15 to 20 knots or 17.5 to 23 mph. So it takes about 9-12 days sailing to make the trip. I figure that at a busy port it could take a day to get through customs. To get to LexRexBlue in New Jersey the via rail would be about 2750 miles more and I doubt the trains average more than 50 mph so that would be another 2 and a half days. Add another day for moving cars around including their final trip via truck. That adds up to 11 to 14 days for the West Coast and 14 to 19 days for the East. If they go by ship all the way to the East Coast, there is even more time.

If they are really going to have cars at most of the dealers on the 15 (and that seems to be what the dealers I've talked to expect) then all or most of them must already be on their way.

Patt, you forgot to consider Northeasterly winds that typically can reduce travel from Japan by approximately 2.675 to 8.678 knotts, effectively delaying arrival to California by as much as 2 days, 4 hours, 18 minutes and 21 seconds. Of course, a car carrier is restricted to a maximum speed of 55 mph and the time period required to travel from the dock to the dealerships often overlaps rush hour traffic, which can delay dealership arrival by an average of 2 hours, 3 minutes, and 58 seconds. Hence, I calculate an amended "final destination" length of time to be between 13 days, 6 hours, 22 minutes, and 19 seconds and 16 days, 6 hours, 22 minutes, and 19 seconds.

Hey, I had some extra time on my hands tonight!

Rx400h, I also forgot to note that the "great circle" distance of approximately 5000 miles actually takes one fairly far North - accurate for flying from Japan to California but possibly weather dictates that the ships take a longer path.

We have to do something while we wait for our cars.

Rx400h, I also forgot to note that the "great circle" distance of approximately 5000 miles actually takes one fairly far North - accurate for flying from Japan to California but possibly weather dictates that the ships take a longer path.

We have to do something while we wait for our cars.

I agree! :D

april 20th will be the new in-store launch

Where did this info come from?

I took a ride to Port Elizabeth today. No signs of any RX400hs. However, they had the Lexuses far in the lot and you can't see all the way in. Some RXs were loaded on a trailer, but they were definitely 330s.

I have to admit that I was not impressed with the lot. It was a mess! The lot where the Infinitis and Nissans are parked is clean and orderly!

Today a dealer told me that Lexus was pushing out the release date a few days to April 18. The first one in my color will actually be at the dealer a few days after that. :) It doesn't have DVD. :unsure: The dealer is checking for me on when the first one in my color with DVD will arrive.

We are somewhat torn about the DVD entertainment system. We already have laptops that can play DVDs and there are portable DVD players that cost much less than the option. On the other hand, having it built in and being able to listen to a movie over the sound system is attractive.

Back in 2001 when I was shopping for the Corvette, I decided that I would get a CD player in the dash and no side molding. I felt that the 12-CD player was overkill. However, when I saw an ad by a dealership in Alabama who had my color coupe on order, but with the 12 CD changer and side molding, I decided to try to bargain the price down to see what they could do. They agreed to a $2500 discount off the MSRP AND a discounted extended warranty. If I couldn't get any discount, then I'd have speacial-ordered the car with only the options I needed to have.

My point is that it's always very easy to justify buying more if you are receiving a good or great deal in the process. It is also very tempting to buy more than you intended when quantities are limited and waiting lists, long. Therefore, I wouldn't blame you if you "go to the max" by getting it all, including the DVD system, especially considering the length of time we've been enduring. Heck, I may do the same thing if our color comes in and the vehicle is offered to us that day.

I may even take the day off from work! :cheers:

Rx400h, our issue is the inverse of what happened with your Corvette. My husband would like to get the DVD player partly because a couple of times in the past we decided not to get an option and then later wished we had it. If we could get the RX400h on the same date with a choice of DVD or no DVD, we would get the DVD inorder to have it seemlessly integrated into the car even though that costs extra compared to the other solutions available to us.

Currently, we have a choice of getting the RX400h without the DVD in two weeks or of waiting an indeterminate time to get it with the DVD. My inclination is to go ahead and take the one in 2 weeks, but he is hesitating a bit.

I'm pretty sure we will take the day off work. We've been waiting for this car for over a year and the last time we bought a car was 11 years ago.

:cheers:

Hey, can I buy the one without the DVD if you decide to wait? :D Seriously, I know how you feel, since I am very happy I have the 12-CD changer in the Corvette. I guess the big difference between the DVD entertainment system and my CD changer is the cost. $2000+ is alot of money for something that would be rarely used (in our case, since we don't often go on 2+ hour trips). If the entertainment system included a satelite-TV feature, it would be much more useful, since most movies on DVD are a minimum of two hours long. At least with a satelite TV, passengers can catch the news or a 1/2-hour comedy during short trips.

On the other hand, back when I was a kid, my mother took me to the bicycle shop for my birthday to buy my dream bike. I really wanted a green bike, but that would've required that we return on another day. The only one available was red. Being a typical impatient kid, I took the red bike and regretted it ever-since.

So, if your husband REALLY wants that entertainment system and the wait isn't more than something you can stand, then I say - wait. Say, maybe if you're picking the same color as we are, we can trade vehicles! (You get the DVD and we get the lower price.) BTW, my wife has been waiting for 10 years for this vehicle; she's getting anxious as well!

Rx400h, Have you been given a date for one with the DVD? What is your color? Maybe the dealers could arrange to swap allocation.

I liked the bike story. If I couldn't get the color I wanted, I would definately wait. I'm sure I would regret that. I'm not sure about the DVD.

We do go on trips of over 2 hours but we don't usually have back seat passengers. When we do have passengers, it is usually friends and we pass the time by chatting. We usually listen to books or plays on CD on long trips when we don't have passengers. The thought was that we could listen to some DVDs when we travel. Things that are mostly dialog like The Importance of Being Ernest or 12 Angry Men. Also, with some books on CD having 10 or more CDs and more cars getting DVD systems, we think that audio books may come out on DVD in a few years. Then there are our currently hypothetical grandchildren who could be future back seat passengers during the life of this vehicle. :)

Patt, No. I have not been given a date. We are number 15 on the list, so I expect that the delivery date depends upon the number of those before us who have chosen the same color. We too, may have grandkids within the next 10 years but don't normally think that far in advance! :)