Timing Belt

Hi,

I just bought a 95 SC 400 with 113000 miles. The previous owner has not repalced the timing belt. I was looking on the manual and it say that under normal driving condition timing belt is not required to be replaced. Can anyone tell me if this model can damage the engine if I let the timing belt break by itself. Thanks.

Yes it will. On the new models it will not.

At this mileage, go ahead and replace it now and the water pump too.

Or you too can be stranded in the night!

Hi,

I just bought a 95 SC 400 with 113000 miles. The previous owner has not repalced the timing belt. I was looking on the manual and it say that under normal driving condition timing belt is not required to be replaced.  Can anyone tell me if this model can damage the engine if I let the timing belt break by itself. Thanks.

Sorry Brucelee but you are wrong! Toyota introduced Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVTi) in 1999 and this is interference type of design and might cause damage to engine when breaks (lot of damage if one try to crank the engine after it died). Non-interference type of design will not cause damage and I am pretty sure that 1995 SC400 is this type of design! I have 1996 SC400 with 95k so I am due for timing belt change soon too. I know it will cost big bucks but it is better do it now than later and get stuck in the middle of nowhere...

• 2 months later...

Lexus dealership just told me my 95 SC400 is an intereference, so I need to get my timing belt changed since I'm approaching 60k miles. Said on new ones you wait until 120k service.

So is a 95 interference or not?

I checked several supposedly professional automotive information websites today about this issue. It is disappointing that there is so little agreement on which Lexus engines are interference and which are not.

Although I am "fairly certain" I know which Lexus years and models have interference engines, I suggest that you do some research to find out for yourself. Speak with a variety of dealer mechanics (not service writers) and mechanics at indy repair shops. Ask them if they have ever had to repair an engine that was damaged when the timing belt broke. There are just too many different opinions floating around about this important issue.

My 2000 LS has an interference engine. My 90 LS did not have an interference engine - no damage was done when the timing belt broke (caused by water pump failure) at 84,000 miles.

Tangent question to timing belt discussion: what about other things that typically get done when the timing belt is replaced, like water pump? The car is running fine, temp is fine, AC/heat is fine, but if the dealer goes in to do the belt and tells me I need a new water pump based on their tests, what do you guys recommend I do? I don't know how to tell if it is a marginal issue or really important, and like I said, everything is running perfectly on my car.

What do you think?

Hey guys,

Let me clear off the false information floating around. This is a quick easy way to know if it's the interference. Engine with VTT-i will be interference motor. Lexus introduced the VVT-i technogy back in 98 not 99. Year 97 and older is non interference. The following items should replace while doing your timing belt: water pump, cams and crank seal, drivebelt, check timing belt and idler pulley. Good luck.

JP Importz

Hey guys,

Let me clear of of the false information floating around.  This is a quick easy way to know if it's the interference.  Engine with VTT-i will be interference motor.  Lexus introduced the VVT-i technogy back in 98 not 99.  97 and older is non interference.  The following items should replace while doing your timing belt: water pump, cams and crank seal, drivebelt, check timing belt and idler pulley.  Good luck.

JP Importz

What about tensinor? I've heard that the tensioner frequently fails shortly after belt replacement and wipes out the new belt.

Thanks for JPI and his help. I finally got my timing belt done. Here are two articles on it:

Timing Belt Part 1

Timing Belt Part 2

I highly recommend JPI for anyone in Texas area. He is a great guy and a good person to purchase parts from.

Hey guys,

Let me clear of of the false information floating around.  This is a quick easy way to know if it's the interference.  Engine with VTT-i will be interference motor.  Lexus introduced the VVT-i technogy back in 98 not 99.  97 and older is non interference.  The following items should replace while doing your timing belt: water pump, cams and crank seal, drivebelt, check timing belt and idler pulley.   Good luck.

JP Importz

What about tensinor? I've heard that the tensioner frequently fails shortly after belt replacement and wipes out the new belt.