97 Ls400 Check Engine Light - 02 Sensor

Gitzinator

Hello all - newbie here.

What a great forum! after cruising around it there is a wealth of knowledge and friendly advice. Hope I could get a little info on this question/problem...

"check engine" light came on a little bit ago. After having it "tested" the codes came back as follows:

DTC Pending (Codes)

PO135

02 Sensor Heater

Circuit Malfunction

( Bank 1 Sensor 1 )

So, it appears that I have a bad 02 sensor - somewhere? Would someone know where to look/find this bad boy? Are there more than 1 of these that could be causing this indicator? How to replace it? The dealer :censored: wanted almost $100 just to TELL me how much more it will cost to fix it - and even then they said it could be all 3 of them (are there 3 - or more??) and then the tab goes from $400 to $800 :o

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have had my 97 LS400 for about 4 years now - just turned 100K and I have not had any problems with her. BEST car I have ever owned!

Thanks all!!!

Hello all - newbie here.

What a great forum!  after cruising around it there is a wealth of knowledge and friendly advice.  Hope I could get a little info on this question/problem...

"check engine" light came on a little bit ago.  After having it "tested" the codes came back as follows:

DTC Pending (Codes)

PO135

02 Sensor Heater

Circuit Malfunction

( Bank 1 Sensor 1 )

So, it appears that I have a bad 02 sensor - somewhere?  Would someone know where to look/find this bad boy?  Are there more than 1 of these that could be causing this indicator?  How to replace it?   The dealer   :censored:   wanted almost $100 just to  TELL  me how much more it will cost to fix it - and even then they said it could be all 3 of them (are there 3 - or more??) and then the tab goes from $400 to $800    :o

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have had my 97 LS400 for about 4 years now - just turned 100K and I have not had any problems with her.    BEST car I have ever owned!

Thanks all!!!

DO NOT take it to the delaer, $800 is highway robbery...

Im pretty sure you can change all of them in an hour.

http://www.lexls.com/mainoxygensensor.html

Oooops! P.S.

I looked at the page for lexls info but was wondering about how many and where the others (if any) are? Also, if these ARE original - do i run a risk of "breaking" them during the uninstall you think? :blink:

My dumb luck is that as i put that extra "muscle" into trying to get them unscrewed, something would 'snap' and then I'D be screwed? :wacko:

Thanks again...

You have four O2 sensors. Two of them are before the catalytic converters, and two after the cats. I am not sure which side is bank 1 - someone here may know -but sensor one is a pre-cat sensor. It is perfectly acceptable to replace just the one sensor - in fact the local dealer does that all the time.

A proper O2 sensor socket is the best way of removing them, and is a must when installing to prevent distorting the casing, although if the connector passes through a box end wrench that will be fine to tighten it.

Bank 1 is the left pipe. It shouldn't be all that difficult to remove the O2 sensor, just soak it with some WD-40. If you don't have an O2 socket then just use a good 22mm wrench. I change O2 sensors almost everyday at work and I've encountered frozen O2 sensors from time to time...!Removed! knuckles and scraped arms yeah.. but I've never had an O2 sensor break on me.