Few Qs - Abs Light, Trunk Release

gabe

My sister has a 1993 ES300 and she has been having a few problems with it lately.

For starters, when she got the car, the trunk release inside the car doesn't work. So in order to change the CD's in her 6disc changer, she has to turn the car off, open the trunk with the key, turn the car back on (to have power to eject the cds) and then load 'em. Anyone know how to fix that?

Secondly, just lately for ABS light came on. Her brakes should be fine, I checked them not too long ago and the pads were in good shape.. (yeah the rotors could be bad). I also checked the Brake fluid, and it was full. On my car (Nissan Maxima) all error lights (Check Engline, ABS, Airbag) store a code which you can retrieve fairly easy. For example, I think its the Airbag light that you just lock and unlock the door 3 times in 5 secs or something..Count the times the light flashes and look it up online. Is there anything similar in the ES300 to check the ABS light? Thanks for reading and any help..

Gabe

I don't know how to fix the trunk release, but in my 92 there is a second trunk release inside the glove compartment (dunno if they kept it in 93), so she could try using that. Sorry I can't help anymore, I don't know much about my car yet ;)

On the '94 ES there's a Trunk Lockout switch in the glove compartment in the left hand upper part. I think it was the same in the '93's.

If the ABS light comes on it could be caused by a bad wheel sensor.

I second the trunk lockout swicth in the glove compartment. It is very easy to accidentally hit and engage. This switch cuts out power to the driver's switch. It is so you can lock valuables in the trunk, then cut out power to the switch, lock the glove compartment and give your valet key to the kid parking your car. The valet key won't access the glove comparmtnet and thus the possibly dishonest valet can't access your valuable.

Get the ABS light checked by Lexus. It could very well be a wheel sensor ($). Hopefully it is not the ABS pressure modulator valve assembly ($$$$$$$). Either way, you don't have antilock braking capability while the light is on.

steviej

the es abs system is pretty good usually the only problem is with the wheel hub getting too much play and not reading itself right

if it does not come on when the car is started but after a bump when driven then it is one of the sensors for sure