Navigation Update

csharon13

Does anyone know how to get the update to the DVD Nav database.

I have a 98 LS, and the dealer says that there is not one available.

I have heard that Lexus offers 1 free update before 50k. But without the dealers coperation, it's an empty offer.

• 2 years later...

The only way I know is to buy the actual DVD disc update for it. I talked to the customer service and sorry to inform u that there r not such thing as a free update for the DVD nav system. Sorry but if find out other way, pls do let everyone know, would be greatly appreciated.

I wanted to updated mine also but it cost 250 for the disc. :wacko: :cries:

sorry 2 hear of u getting lost with the useless Nav. I'm not 100% sure of the older model what does it have but I think it always use DVD for Navigation system unless my info is wrong. Mine is an 01 and it use DVD for it and u r right. I encountered once about the POI listing missing a lot of resturants listing as I know those exist 100% for sure. Want to find a cheaper way to update it. Anyone know a good website to buy it for cheaper??? Thks in advance

Every nav before 2001 is hard drive based, thats the first generation nav. You CAN update the harddrive but its about $500 due to the labor required. There is no way to update it to the DVD system. The DVD system, the second generation debuted in 2001. The 2004 systems have the third generation DVD nav which is different from the one found in 2001-2003 cars and early 2004 RX330s. The hard drive systems are also limited to how much data they can hold and I believe after next year Lexus is going to stop offering updates because they have no room. The 2003 version of the nav (which all 2004 cars have, the version is a year behind. My Lexus is 2003 and I have the 2002 nav) has 5 million POIs, whereas the 2003 hard drive version only has 1.4 million due to the space limitation.

DVD updates are about $280 and they're availiable at www.lexus-parts.com (hard drives are too) and you can do that yourself. I'f expect if you're reasonably tech savy you could do the hard drive system yourself too.