1997 Lexus Es300 Problems

I have a 1997 lexus es300 which until now has been perfect. At this 90,000 dealer checkup I was told the following: I need a new power steering pump, valve cover gasket, front and back shocks and it is not passing the CA smog test. Has anyone had similiar problems? Help!

These problems are normal on the ES300. Valve cover gaskets tend to leak after 45k miles. Since the power steering pump sit below the valve cover gaskets, it's probably not the power steering pump that leaking. Go ahead and replace your valve cover gaskets. Tell them to clean off the power steering pump if it is the pump you will know in 2 weeks. Why did you car fail the smog test? Let me know how it turn out.

JPI

It failed the smog test stating the catalytic converter was "weak". But after reading about how they tend to fail if the car is not driven and then immediately tested, the dealership called to tell me they were going to drive it around and then retest it. It passed then just fine; I wound up paying about $130 for both tests. So my total bill came today to $2144 not including the struts which I was told can wait a bit as it is not noticeable when driving. Is it true it won't do any damage to the rest of the car not fixing those immediately? I have been such a big fan of our car, not having to fix or replace anything other than normal wear and tear for the last 90,000 miles and then all of a sudden these huge repairs.

I really expected this car to go at least 150,000 miles without major expenses as it has been so perfect up until now and I have always serviced it as required or even more often.

Unfortunately I received your email after I authorized them to replace the valve cover gasket; I thought it was strange that possibly the valve cover gasket and the power steering pump to both leak at the same time. I bet you were right and I might have been "misinformed". Ohwell, the idea of getting the new lexus Suv to replace the 2000 Expedition might have just gone out the window. Any advice? Thanks for the reply.

Does the car seem to float up and down excessively after you hit a bump? Also, does the car seem to bottom out on large bumps? If not, than the struts don't have to be changed immediately. You won't do any damage if you wait awhile before changing them.

Do you service your car quite often? The powertrain warr is 6 yrs and 70k miles. They should spot the leak back while it was under warr. You are at 90K and you haven't replace your

Timing belt, it's a good time to this now. They might give you a little discount. And i don't see why they have to charge you $130 for state inspection. If you fail at your first time they will get to do it for free the second time. NO BUT NO IF that is the law. Yes, you don't have to replace

your struts now but if they are really bad. It could be dangerous while driving on the freeway. Good luck with everything. I know how it's feel to spend $2144 in one day. Lexus make good cars. I wouldn't drive anything else beside a lexus. Well, I shouldn't say that because I have a Lancer Evolution. :P

JPI

do not go to the dealer if your car is no longer within warranty anymore, or if you can, try to talk to the mechanic not the service rep who makes a living on commissions just like a sales rep! ps. finding a good and honest mechanic is the most important thing in every car owners life!

Sincerely

i just replaced my rear shocks there are lots to choose from

and a bit of a pain in labour to remove the back seat to get them out

but i changed my whole suspension for 150 canadian front and back

new springs and shocks with aftermarket sport ones

get monroe sensatrac if you would like a more cost effective way but most chops should be able to do it all for about 300 total