'90 Ls Center Console

jadecuir

Can somebody tell me what is holding this thing down? I've got the forward screws out, the well-hidden middle screws out( the ones inside the box, forward), but I can't find what's holding it down aft!! There have got to be some screws hidden somewhere! Anybody got a service manual that shows how to remove the center console on a 1990-94 LS400?

John DeCuir

Salinas/Sacramento, CA

I think I remember that there were one or more bolts at the rear of the console holding it down. Raise the center armrest and then pop off the little air vent cover under it. After you pop off the air vent cover, I think you will see small screws holding the rear of the console box in place. You also have to remove the screws at the bottom of the console box which are hidden under the sheet of fuzzy removable trim. Seems like I had to remove the cupholder module too. The plastic console box can be pryed out with a well taped stiff putty knife blade - probably the hardest part of the whole job - be gentle but firm when doing the prying. The connectors you will see under the rear of the console are for the optional Lexus phone and you may need to remove brackets that hold them to the console.

Sorry, it has been a few years since I popped the console out of the 90 I had but it seemed fairly straight forward at the time.

Also, I think I remember that the entire center console assembly sort of "plugs in" to the forward part of the console by the radio. I also remember that it was not necessary to use much force to remove the console - once the screws and bolts are removed, it lifts out easily.

:ph34r: secret ninja style post. sry.

Thanks, guys. I thought I had to pry the box up, but I was afraid of breaking it. Everything plastic on this car is getting a little brittle. I'll try the petty knife, and thanks for the PDF! I hope I never have to remove the whole dash!

John

:ph34r: secret ninja style post. sry.

Thanks, guys. I thought I had to pry the box up, but I was afraid of breaking it. Everything plastic on this car is getting a little brittle. I'll try the petty knife, and thanks for the PDF! I hope I never have to remove the whole dash!

John

Actually, thje dash removal on your 90 LS is around the same as my 90 ES. farily straight forward. 5 bolts, a few brakcets and all the trim/speedo assembly and out it comes.

you dont have a passenger side airbag, so the hardest part is removing the steering wheel.