Do Worn Brake Pads "chirp" ?

RX in NC

My wife's 2000 RX300 AWD is approaching 82,000 miles on the original brake pads (she obviously does a lot of highway driving). I always check the condition of the brake pads every time I rotate the tires, and thus far there's been sufficient pad surface upon each inspection. Some brake pads are designed to make audible "chirping" noises as they reach the end of their service life, which is a great design since it warns you to replace your pads before you inadvertently allow them to go metal-to-metal on the rotors.

Can anyone confirm that the original Lexus brake pads on this vehicle will indeed begin "chirping" before they are spent? I don't want to install new brakes prematurely, but I don't want to run the risk of going metal-to-metal without warning, either. Thanks in advance for your input.

The original Lexus pads do have wear indicators at all 4 wheels. This is a small metal tab on the pad that contacts the rotor, before the pad is completly gone, and makes more of a squeal than a chirp. The original pads do last a long time. I changed mine at 75k and I could have gone a little longer. One thing to know: Lexus replacement front pads come without the wear indicator. They must be removed from the old pads and placed on the new ones. I bet there are a lot of RXs around without the wear indicators, after having their pads changed. The rear pads come with wear indicators on them.

That's great information to share, mikey00. I'll make certain that the front pad wear indicators are removed from the old pads and installed on the new ones. Lexus should solve this dilemma by ensuring that all replacement front pads come with wear indicators just like the rear pads apparently do.

Thanks again.

I don't quite understand why Lexus deliberately replace the front pads without putting the wear indicators back on, while the rear ones come with them. I would think that the design of the front pads and the rear pads are the same. May be it is not the case... In any case, Lexus should always put the indicators back on the new front pads if it means to be, or just because they forgot?

Thanks for the info indeed. It's good to know in advance to be caution.

I don't quite understand why Lexus deliberately replace the front pads without putting the wear indicators back on, while the rear ones come with them.  I would think that the design of the front pads and the rear pads are the same.  May be it is not the case...  In any case, Lexus should always put the indicators back on the new front pads if it means to be, or just because they forgot?

Thanks for the info indeed.  It's good to know in advance to be caution.

The design of the front and rear pads are not the same. The rear pad has the wear indicator firmly attached to the pad frame. It is either part of the frame or attached with a rivet. It has been awhile since I looked at it. This is the way I remember pads from previous brake jobs (non Lexus). The wear indicator on the front pad is just a spring steel clip that you slide onto the pad frame. You would think Lexus would include these with the front pads but they don't. You need to remove them from the old pads. A call to the parts dept confirmed this.

I just replaced the front pads and rotors at 55k miles. They didn't squeal or chirp before they started grinding. I'm pretty sure they were original (I'm the second owner) so I wouldn't count on any warning before they're gone.

Yes, that's a common complaint on many different makes of vehicles and the primary reason why it pays to carefully inspect the condition of your brake pads every time your rotate your tires.

I've owned vehicles that had brake pads designed to chirp or squeal before they were completely shot, but the chirping or squealing never occured. Learned my lesson the hard way many years ago to check those pads frequently once they reach 40,000 to 50,000 miles depending upon vehicle and driving style.

• 1 year later...

My wife's 2000 RX300 AWD is approaching 82,000 miles on the original brake pads (she obviously does a lot of highway driving). I always check the condition of the brake pads every time I rotate the tires, and thus far there's been sufficient pad surface upon each inspection. Some brake pads are designed to make audible "chirping" noises as they reach the end of their service life, which is a great design since it warns you to replace your pads before you inadvertently allow them to go metal-to-metal on the rotors.

Can anyone confirm that the original Lexus brake pads on this vehicle will indeed begin "chirping" before they are spent? I don't want to install new brakes prematurely, but I don't want to run the risk of going metal-to-metal without warning, either. Thanks in advance for your input.

Pretty incredible stuff..I noticed my car has 69,500 miles on it and I am still running the original brake pads. I had the mechanic check my brake pads when he rotated my tires and he told me that I have about 50% left on both the front and rear brake pads. Have you guys experienced the same life with your brake pads? I would have thought pads last maybe 60k miles, however my car is at almost 70k and the pads are still in pretty good condition. I don't brake hard and most of my miles are indeed highway miles, however I would have never imagined that they would have lasted this long.

I just replaced the front pads and rotors at 55k miles. They didn't squeal or chirp before they started grinding. I'm pretty sure they were original (I'm the second owner) so I wouldn't count on any warning before they're gone.

You replaced rotors at 55000 miles? What happened? I have 113000 miles on my Acura Legend and I have the original rotors. I know lots of folks with very high mileage cars with original rotors. Of course, I have NEVER had my Acura rotors cut (turned on a lathe) and the car stops straight ahead without pulling, jerking or any other issue.

Let us know what went wrong with your car.

Gary

I agree with that completely, I got over 150k miles on my Nissan truck and never had the rotors turned. Then again I did the work (pad replacement etc.. myself) Its tough to find a shop ( at least in Cal. ) that will replace the pads and not turn the rotors. My suspicion is that theres a liablility issue in there somewhere.

Its tough to find a shop ( at least in Cal. ) that will replace the pads and not turn the rotors. My suspicion is that theres a liablility issue in there somewhere.

I agree that they are hard to find. I think liability is the excuse. Awfully convenient for them that they Have to do it--"It's a safety policy", funny how they Have to then charge you for it. Not that I'm against people making money, but enacting a policy that makes them money under false pretenses really gets me mad.

That's okay. I do the brake pads myself, and turn the rotors when they really do need it--at NAPA.