330 Transmission

motocopter

Well, it happened again. This time merging into two-way traffic the car just rolled as traffic rapidly closed in on us. My wife asked "what are you doing?" :chairshot:

Truth is, the RX330 wouldn't accelerate to get going. We were just rolling until it caught. I realize now my wife was seeing traffic getting bigger in her window.

So, I have learned to live with the shifting by manually shifting the automatic. I only put the lever in 3rd, 4th and on the highway 5th and first ensure the engine RPMs go above 3k before advancing to the next higher gear.

Now, to ensure we never get hit I have to not be in a hurry. My Duramax can get its 7500 pound self out of its own way faster than the RX. :wacko:

Is there a fix out there? I really would like to see a programer on the market. First alter shifting pattern and then allow the converter to lock up earlier. Maybe some engine tuning to boot.

Here you GO!

www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com

The fix is dont buy a Lexus RX, Buy a Toyota 4 Runner or something with normal rear drive based engine and transmission.

Here you GO!

www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com

Looks like the PCM is up to the task. Anyone using this on their RX? For nearly a 1000 bucks .... is this the answer?

I suspect I would have to hear about a few positive experiences before commiting to the PCM.

• 1 month later...

Just an update here on the transmission. It's gone! :whistles: So is the whole RX-330. We had it for two full years and it was time to go. We were looking at hybrids from Honda, Ford, Toyota and finally went to check on the RX400h. Didn't like the hybrids and Lexus guys didn't have enough info. So, leaving the dealer I noticed they had a new 2006 GS300. To make a long story short we traded up. Bye-bye RX! No regrets.

Now, this new GS is awesome. :cheers: The six-speed automatic with rear wheel drive is the bomb. This one runs terrific and gets better gas mileage than the RX - about 20 percent more.

So, don't everyone run to their Lexus dealer and buy a new GS 300 or 430. I want to be the only one in town with one for a while. :lol:

Hey Motocopter....

I went to test drive the new 06' GS 300 the other day. Can you tell me if you have this problem with yours.......I attempted an emergency brake from approximately 35 MPH down to about 5 MPH. I then quickly got back on the gas. When I did this, the engine spooled up, and then about 1/2 to 1 second later, the transmission caught, causing the tires to spin. Would you mind trying this on yours, to see if it does the same. I asked the dealer, who, of course, said it was the first time he had experienced this. He asked a mechanic, who said that this occurred in a different vehicle (same model) as well. I appreciate your efforts. Thanks.

Tried that during the test drive. I call it a rolling stop manuever. First impression was that there was major improvement over our RX. Secondly, it doesn't have an issue while manually shifting the automatic six speed and performing this manuever.

So, I'm more impressed with this transmission and logic and am really satisfied with the +/- shifting. Therefore, I'm not going to investigate any further. It drives in a manner I can live with. Besides the rest of the car is too beautiful to have a !Removed! in a punchbowl.