Cold Air Intake

drop in air filters will not void the warranty. Picked up a few mpg too.

I don't know if there is any substantial gains on the 02-03 with a CAI, cause I don't know of anyone who has done it nor have I read aobut it on the boards.

removing/replacing the airbox, relocationg the MAF sensor, and eliminating any factory installed air intake system......I would say so.

When in doubt ask your service manager or warranty writer at the dealership you go too.

steviej

a cai is the discrestion of the dealer for a warranty problem

but if they want they can deny a claim if they feel it is caused by a changed or modification

to me if i had a new car i would not do it

a cai

first ingests cold dense air from the front of the car away from the bumper

cold air is more dense with molecules

meaning it will pack more oxygen needed for combustion

slightly leaning out the fuel mixture but increasing horsepower and torque

second it removes the restrictions of a stock air box

as there are water collection boxes attached to siphon out water incase needed

this is also a muffler for the intake to decrease the intake noise

it is a lexus after all

removeing the box and placing a straighter pipe reduces the vacum needed to ingest ari freeing horsepower again to put to the wheels

the low end torque curve will also be lowered in rpms but raised in overal power as it is the intial suck the engien can get much easier

so it can get going faster

remembering the engine is a vacum it sucks and blows anything to help make it easier helps

like a hot dog stand straw and a mc donalds straw

which one would you rather breath through

and the intake will be a bit more noisy or sweeter sounding ( depending on your preferences)

which creates air waves whcih also increase induction

it saves gas for sure as i went from 400km a tank to over 500 depending on how i felt like driving that week

to me it is a win win situation

only draw backs are deep pudles over 1 foot deep as the intake will be submerged and wil ingest wateer causeing the engine to lock

but there are bypas filters for this purpose

and do not buy a short pipe,wrongly know as a ram pipe

which sits in the engine bay and sucks in hot air causing a lose in performance and gas milage

wow, soundz like one complicated piece of equipment... so how much noiser are we talking about? also, how much does it cost usually, and what kind should i get (if i get it, that is)? also, is this something that i can do myself (taking into consideration that i had trouble enough figuring out how to take out my turn signal bulbs)? thanx!

what do you mean by engine locking up?do you mean stalling out or acually blowing up?i would like to know because i would like to put one in my car but if theres a risk of killing my motor then screw it.also how did you make it?thanks

it is simpl;e a pipe but must be made right

it is not that easy to make one properly

as air leaks and other problems can happen

pluis it involves rolling the fender slightly to get a larger round pipe in there

the noise is nothing

it onlymakes noise when the throttle is at wot

for what kind

there is only one stlye

and no one i know make a good cai

just crappy short pipes

not really a diy project

locking up means that if the engine went in a 2 foot pool of water at a high rpm it would suck water into the engine

liquids do not compress gases do

so the engine would go in to lock up and the valves pistons connecting rods ans well a few other things would be vent

by the compression lock

that is wy it is also not a diy job since it needs a good filter and to placed properly to avoid water issues

ok thats what i thought you meant.at first i thought you meant just stall out.i think i will pass on that because i dont want to risk that unless i found someone thats really good at doing it.

that is the best idea

if a company does not have a madrel bender for 3 inch pipe then don't do it as they would not have as much experiance with the metal and placement

once they inverst in one of these machines then they do alot of work to pay it off

• 2 weeks later...

the k and n ones work for fuel mileage

but i don't feel tehy do for perofrmance gains

they look just like the stock air box filter but are made of different material and are not as deep

only 1 inch thick compared to 2 on the oem one

check out the June 2002 issue of Hot Rod or go to www.hotrod.com and look in their archieve section.

They did a side by side comparison of air filters (OEM and performance). Very interesting.

I went with a K&N simply for the ability to not change it in the long run. Rough calculations based on gas saved and not having to buy OEM filters turned out to be about $2000 over 10 years.

steviej

oh, and i wonder how much $2000 in 10 years would come out to with inflation? i forgot everything i learned in finance, not that if i remembered i'd still spend the time and effort to work it out. but i'd guess somewhere around $30 in today's money :lol:

the drop in filter is just as the name says. It simply "drops" into the stock air box that the stock air filter goes. You take out the old Denso white fiberlike air filter and put the k & n in its place. chill...can you follow that. go to k&n's wedsite and find your filter.

should run around $35-50 depending on where you buy it. AND YOU NEVER HAVE TO BUY A FILTER AGAIN....that is what I learned from business class. I don't give a crap about inflation rates over 10 years either. I just know that is about $2000 that I won't have to spend on extra gas and stock filters. do you follow what I am saying here.

here is the link to find you filter, and on k&n's wed site you can find a list of mail order firms that should have it in stock.

http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/appsearch.aspx

have a nice weekend. :whistles:

steviej