Faded Wood On Steering Wheel?

I've got this GS430 in my garage overnight to inspect it before possible purchase and my wife noticed the steering wheel is a different colored wood than the interior trim parts. It has black interior with the cherry looking wood, dark with lots of red. On the other hand the steering wheel is much lighter wood or sun faded clear coat or something. Has anyone ever seen this? It's still under the bumper to bumper warranty for a short while so is it safe to assume the dealer would have to correct this? the correct darker wood steering wheel would dramatically improve the interior look.

I searched here and even on google and can't find any mention of another person seeing this.

Kevin W.

Thats common, a lot of time its from people either using cleaners that dull the wood or using hand lotions that cloud it. Nothing you can do about it, I doubt the dealer will fix it, and you don't want to know how much one of those wheels costs (almost $3000).

Now, you could have it redone somewhere aftermarket like American Stitches for less.

It can't be the actual wood as there's a significant layer of clear on top of the wood. I wonder if I could buff it or wet sand it? I'm assuming someone has tried that before.

...and yes I plan to suggest a healthy discount for that, I found a lot of nicks and a small crease in the rear bumper cover with a paint scuff nearby indicating the person backed into a pole or was rear ended at slow speeds, oddly enough it's missing the spare tire as well, it has a full size rim in the well without a tire.

Kevin

Well the car comes with a full size spare on the same rim. Interesting the tire is missing, thats $150 right there.

You can try polishing the wood with anything you can use to polish the paint. I'd try some Klasse AIO.

It's just a stock pewter 2002 GS430 with black interior. Nothing worth taking pictures of. Not sure if I'll modify this car as I'm using it for a daily driver and expecting that legendary Lexus reliability. Anyone want to buy a 99 Audi A6Q with 74k for $13k? hehe : )

I've got this GS430 in my garage overnight to inspect it before possible purchase and my wife noticed the steering wheel is a different colored wood than the interior trim parts. It has black interior with the cherry looking wood, dark with lots of red. On the other hand the steering wheel is much lighter wood or sun faded clear coat or something. Has anyone ever seen this? It's still under the bumper to bumper warranty for a short while so is it safe to assume the dealer would have to correct this? the correct darker wood steering wheel would dramatically improve the interior look.

I searched here and even on google and can't find any mention of another person seeing this.

Kevin W.

What i'm trying to understand is if the wood is different or if it's just the acrylic coat on the wood that's faded. Answer the EACH of following questions true or false so i can understand ;) im very dense..lol

1-EVERY section (top and 2 bottoms) of wood on the wheel are TOTALLY a CLOUDY color

2-ONLY 1 or 2 of the 3 sections of wood on the wheel are TOTALLY a CLOUDY color

3-EVERY section (top and 2 bottoms) of wood on the wheel have ONLY PARTIAL marks/smudges of CLOUDY color (like finderprintsa etc)

4-ONLY 1 or 2 of the 3 sections of wood on the wheel have ONLY PARTIAL marks/smudges of CLOUDY color (like finderprintsa etc)

5-EVERY section (top and 2 bottoms) of wood on the wheel have a gloss finish.

6-ONLY 1 or 2 of the 3 sections of wood on the wheel have a gloss finish.

7-EVERY section (top and 2 bottoms) of wood on the wheel have a gloss finish, but the colors (red/brown/orange) just don't match the other wood in the car. (meaning the wood looks shiny and clear, but isn't the right shade of red/brown/orange to match)

Hopefully this can clear up your situation for me a little bit. I will get back to you as soon as i get your results. Thanks