Drivers Seat

Watisgood

I was driving my car and this girl flipped out and kicked the back of my seat. Ever since then only one side of the seat is able to go down. It is a 1990. This was previously my fathers car ever since i got it its just been down hill from there. Is there any way i could fix this problem without replacing the seat. Thanx.

-Jay

Jay, I had problems with my seats too. Only one side would go down. Ended up taking them out and found that there is a little motor and gear mechanism connected to a rod that actuates the seat. Mine had separtated gear from the rod. All I did was move it back into position and now when the motor turns both side go up and down. Dont know if thats exactly what you have but I hope it helps.

If I remember correctly I took too much of the seat apart and it was fixable from the outside. So I learned whats holding the leather on and fixed the seat heaters too.

Cheers.

Hey maxed, it sounds like you have rather intimate experience with the insides of the driver seat so I'm curious....do you think it would be that difficult to move a memory control module from one seat to another that does not have the module installed?

I replaced my old driver seat a while back with one that did not come with a memory module. I would like to install the module from the old seat in the new seat so the memory settings buttons in the door will work once again.

At the very least, could you post instructions on how to get the seat apart?

:cheers:

Hey I'm no expert I just love the LS. But as I recall I first had to get it out of the car. Once out I was able to remove what I was told were "pigs" (circles of metal ) that held the leather on the seat frame from the bottom. It was a real pain but I got through and eventually took the cover off the top and bottom. I was not happy with the bottom support so I bought a seat from a recyler and switched a passenger bottom to my drivers side. It worked out great and I get mouch more support now. I guess if it was grey leather instead of blue I wouldnt be writing about this....

For fixing Jays problem I'm pretty sure he does not need to go as deep as I went.

Anyway I dont have any pictures but I might still have the old frame. I'll check it out. Dont know about memory but like everything else I've seen on these cars it should be a module swap.

will let you know if I find anything.

B) Thanx for ur help maxed i just have 1 more question? Is there any ways possible to fix this problem without taking the seat out? I really dont have much experience w/ fixing anything on my car. But i guess ill give it a try. Thanks again.

-Jay B)

Hey Jay. 4 bolts and undo the connector and its out. Move the seat all the way forward to expose the rear 2 bolts, then move the seat all the way back to get at the front 2. (You might have to flip off the plastic covers to get at the bolts). Once unbolted tip it back and disconnect the connector and I think with some dancing it'll come out the back door. I think its way easier to get at that mechanism outside the car than trying to work upside down. Give it a go. I think its 14mm bolts on the seat.

When the seats out I cleaned some crud off the carpets.

hey maxed thanks for all ur help you were right abou tthe problem. The only thing is that i guess from the seat being stuck like that for so long i have to get a clamp to hold the bar and the gear mechanism. I have to say thanks again i cant beleive something so stupid could be the cause of that.

• 6 months later...

Hi Max,

Sorry being a newbie here. However, can you tell me in more details how to remove your seat? I have a 1990 LS400, but I could not find the 4 bolts you mentioned. Are they on the seat or are they fixed on the track the seat moves on? Please let me know because I have the same problem as Jay. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
Can someone plz help here?

I opened the seat cover and still didn't know which rod/connector to look at. Can someone send me a pix to chronozenki@hotmail.com or explain to me in more details? I appreciate your help :(

I am having the same problem with my car and was wondering if someone can send me the same info that was sent to chronozenki.