Lx450 Performance Mods?

cobra350

I'm a newbie to the Lexus scene. Hoping to add performance via comp. chip, air intake or exhaust. To my suprise, I'm unable to find these items for the LX450. I thought Landcruiser parts would crossover, but those consulted say no. Are there any of these mods available for my 1996 LX450? Thanks!

If you're looking for engine modification and not exterior (i.e. body parts), anything available for a 1995 through 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser will definitely work with a 1996 or 1997 Lexus LX 450. If someone told you otherwise, they were incorrect.

The two highest ticket items available (that I know of) would be either a turbo charger or a supercharger. TRD made a supercharger for the 4.5L inline 6. There are still a number of them available, although TRD is no longer manufacturing them. Just off the top of my head, I know www.tlc4x4.com and www.man-a-fre.com have them. I believe you can find one at www.sor.com. When searching, you might also want to search for 80 series Land Cruiser parts (the LX 450 is essentially an 80 series Land Cruiser with a number of upgrades).

There used to be a member of this board with quite a few performance related modifications, but I think he spends most of his time on the www.ih8mud.com forum. The focus there is more along the lines of off-road discussion, but if you search for posts from a member with the id of Endless on that site, you'll find a list of some of his performance mods...he has one very nice ride.

One final note -- there has been a lot of discussion regarding the benefits of some aftermarket performance parts, such as K&N air filters, certain chips and tuner plug-ins, but honestly, I'm a bit sceptical when it comes to some of those things. For example, while the K&N might be less restrictive and let in more air, it could also be letting in small dust particles which could harm the engine...

• 2 weeks later...

IH8MUD.com in the 80s/LX450 section would be the place to go and its mostly about mods and working on your rig. That's discussed a lot more then wheeling. Some of the mods like sliders and ARB bumpers and OME lifts are for wheeling. There have been a lot of threads on this over there and you might want to do a search