Hood Struts

Nate

I have a 1994 LS 400 and I need new hood struts. The dealer wants $80.00 for each side. Does anyone know where I can get them for less? Also does anyone know if there is a trick to poping the strut out of the sockets? Thanks!

I read somewhere that the Camry struts are the same size and they can be used to replace the worn out LS400 struts. I hear they are much cheaper as well. Probably $25/strut new? You may want to check some junk yards for a set of used Camry struts? Mine are worn out too. I have to put a little piece of wood under the hood to prop mine open. If you're doing extended work, you can use a vice grip to lock one of the struts to keep the hood open safely.

d to see I am not alone. I fixed the problem by cutting a piece of wood the proper length and keeping it in the trunk. Since my hood will stay up for about 4-5 minutes I also posted a WATCH OUT warning under the hood since I don't want someone hurt. They ought to give us all new struts at a reasonable price or even free. There is obviously a design defect in these struts which SHOULD have resulted in a recall. Very dangerous condition for some unsuspecting person looking under the hood. I'm sure the MB and BMW people laugh seeing most Lexus owners using a stick to hold the hood up.

I got a set of hood struts for my 1991 LS-400 through www.irontoad.com. I don't remember the exact price but it was around 1/2 of the amount that the local Lexus dealer wanted. Installation was a cake walk. The new ones included new ball joints for each end so all that all that had to be done was take an open-end wrench of the correct size (different for each end), unscrew the ball joint at each end of the old strut, screw in the ball joints and snap the new strut into place. They're even labeled as to which side is which.

I got a set of hood struts for my 1991 LS-400 through www.irontoad.com. I don't remember the exact price but it was around 1/2 of the amount that the local Lexus dealer wanted. Installation was a cake walk. The new ones included new ball joints for each end so all that all that had to be done was take an open-end wrench of the correct size (different for each end), unscrew the ball joint at each end of the old strut, screw in the ball joints and snap the new strut into place. They're even labeled as to which side is which.

just checked it out and it list $60 for each strut. I guess you can buy it for an ease since it comes with the balljoint already. at autozone you can get it for $16 each, but you have to use your old balljoint which requires some work. you have to drill it and such to get the ball joint. the whole process is shown on www.cureline.net/lex under how to section