Differential Bushings

nc211

I've read hundreds of threads on the bushings in the control arms, strut rods, engine mounts, tranny mount and rear carrier bushings. I have also read several about that annoying lurch our cars have from p to d or p to r. I have a 95, with 95k miles. I have that lurch, I have that annoying vibration. But what I also have is a cracked rear differential bushing. Not a suspension component, not a engine mounting, but an actual driveline mount problem in the rear. I'm curious why I can't seem to find a lot of talk about these two mounts. Are they not that prone to break? You can see my photo and what I'm talking about on the "Ride getting Harsh" thread. Basically, my whole rear differential shifts, and wiggles around now because of this. Does anyone have any other past history with these two bushings? Anybody else have one go out?

Thanks!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...wtopic=4886&hl=

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...wtopic=5320&hl=

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...wtopic=6230&hl=

Here are my posts.

You can replace the diffy mounts and the sub-frame cushions in the back.

I tested the differential mounts by wedging a block of wood between the differential and the under carriage of the car. Went for a test drive and low and behold my noise / vibration was reduced significantly.

pachocco1, it made a significant difference in the overall feel of the car didn't it. Brought it back to that new feeling, solid, sure, and smooth.

i had that problem a year or so ago, but my diff. bushing was actually shot....

when i would shift into D or R and the diff. would torque it would hit metal to metal, and sound off a loud poping noise....

i thought it was a tranny problem so i took it in..... but to make a long story short,it was the diff. bushing and my mechanic fixed it for around 40-50 bucks, the bushing itself was along the lines 15 dollars

Silvermate, that's me too. Not quite at the metal on metal, but very very close. I got the popping noise, and clunking. I can't wait to get this fixed! Nothing drives me more insane then having a borken toy. I rode in a 99' the other day with 50k miles, it was sooo smooth. I can't wait for mine to be that way too!

How much does it cost to replace these two bushings in labor? Or should I say, does anyone know the labor time it takes? Is it easy, difficult, or impossible. I'm asking because one mechanic told me it would cost $550 in labor to replace these two bushings. Does that sound right? He also wanted $200 for the front strut rods in labor as well. And the rear carrier bushings? Forget about it, he was insane. I think they're taking to the dealer, then charging me a bit more on top of that. $950 for 4 bushings and two strut arms with 6 bolts? Just for labor? Am I crying over nothing, or getting ripped off.

How much does it cost to replace these two bushings in labor? Or should I say, does anyone know the labor time it takes? Is it easy, difficult, or impossible. I'm asking because one mechanic told me it would cost $550 in labor to replace these two bushings. Does that sound right? He also wanted $200 for the front strut rods in labor as well. And the rear carrier bushings? Forget about it, he was insane. I think they're taking to the dealer, then charging me a bit more on top of that. $950 for 4 bushings and two strut arms with 6 bolts? Just for labor? Am I crying over nothing, or getting ripped off.

you are getting ripped off, AFAIK those bushings are pretty standard stuff.

in other words, a monkey with a wrench (pun intended) can do it. so im told anyway, i havent actually looked under an LS400 myself to see.

Well apparently this wonderful little shop is actually nothing more than a repair broker of sorts. It appears these snakes weren't doing the work, but were taking it to the dealer and then charging me dealer rate PLUS their shop rate. I figured it out this morning at the dealer, the guy said we looked at this yesterday, when it was at the other shop! Now I know why the guy at the indi shop said he felt the vibration at 45 I was talking about. I was like "why are you driving it? I didn't ask you to diagnose the problem, just put on my new parts". So, they're done. If you're in Raleigh, stay away from Bayleaf Texaco repair shop on the corner of Mount Vernon Church Rd and Six Forks. They'll rip you off big time.

like i said in my earlier post, my mechanice charged my somewhere between 40-50 dollars, to replace one bushing.

so obviously it doesn't take that long to do......its just a simple bushing replacement. if they are wanting to charge you 500 bucks, you are taking up the A**. :lol:

Hahaha, looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking.

I told those hill-jacks not to touch the car, I went and got it and simply took to the dealer this morning. Indi mechanics see a lexus, and they hear "cha-ching" in their heads. My guy I trust doesn't have the proper tools to press out bushings, so I had to find somewhere that did, which ultimatly led me to the dealer. I just want it done, period. If it's that darn expensive, then I want it done right, the first time. So the dealer got it.