Es300 - Trunk Lid Opening Hard

total1

I've got a 98 ES300 w/ 77K miles that I recently purchased from a private owner. It runs fine but when opening the trunk from the push-button on the dash, the trunk lid opens very hard.

Here's what happens: Upon pressing the trunklid open button on the dashboard, the trunk opens the ENTIRE way with a vengeance. My other ES300, as 97, just pops the trunk and then patiently waits until I get to the trunk to lift it open.

When I press the trunklid button on the 98 ES300 I typically dash out of the driver's seat and try to catch the trunk lid just before it hits it's most upright position. It stays at this position without any tension and it closes normally. It's just the 'ejection' that's pretty severe!

Is this an easy fix and how can I get it fixed without spending big $$$? Can I fix it via a tune/tweek?

TIA,

Tom

That's weird to have it happen on your '98 ES. I don't believe it's a problem with the fuse. Instead I would probably check the spring mechanism in the trunk lock area (located under and in the middle of the plastic trunk sill after you fully open the trunk lid).