Lcd Radio Display

I have 99 GS3 with a stock sound system with numbers and symbols periodically appearing and disappearing. Do I have a loose connection, bad display? What can I do to repair this? Is it something I can do myself? Can it be repaired?

Does anyone else have this problem? Looking forward to your comments...

Something similar is happening to my LCD display on my 02 ES. My display lights don't come on until the car is warmed up. So it might just be the weather that's causing the radio to act that way. It has been extremely cold lately in Toronto, and on cold mornings it won't display anything...but as the car warms up n the cabin is heated...it works perfectly fine. Talked to the dealer n they said they can't do anything aobut it...n it has happened to others too... If it's not the cold that is causing u're display not to work....then i wouldn't know.

Yes i think the temperature does have an effect on the LCD display.

The way lcd (liquid crystal display)screens works is this; It turns out that liquid crystals are closer to a liquid state than a solid. It takes a fair amount of heat to change a suitable substance from a solid into a liquid crystal, and it only takes a little more heat to turn that same liquid crystal into a real liquid. This explains why liquid crystals are very sensitive to temperature and why they are used to make thermometers and mood rings. It also explains why a laptop computer display may act funny in cold weather or during a hot day at the beach! One feature of liquid crystals is that they're affected by electric current. A particular sort of nematic liquid crystal, called twisted nematics (TN), is naturally twisted. Applying an electric current to these liquid crystals will untwist them to varying degrees, depending on the current's voltage. LCDs use these liquid crystals because they react predictably to electric current in such a way as to control light passage. Thermotropic liquid crystals will react to changes in temperature or, in some cases, pressure. The reaction of lyotropic liquid crystals, which are used in the manufacture of soaps and detergents, depends on the type of solvent they are mixed with. If we apply an electric charge to liquid crystal molecules, they untwist! When they straighten out, they change the angle of the light passing through them so that it no longer matches the angle of the top polarizing filter. Consequently, no light can pass through that area of the LCD, which makes that area darker than the surrounding areas. (howstuffworks.com) <- reference

In english, this means that when an electrical current passes through an LCD screen, it makes certain areas block light from pasing through, creating a black area (part of "HOT" "COLD" or any number etc. Temperature affects the rate that electricity flows which could be the reason they don't appear or flicker. It might be that in the circuit something such as an unknown wire or line is cracked preventing electricity from going through. It could be anything..Does it only happen when it's cold? If not it's probably not a problem i would try to fiddle with....

I have 99 GS3 with a stock sound system with numbers and symbols periodically appearing and disappearing.  Do I have a loose connection, bad display?  What can I do to repair this? Is it something I can do myself? Can it be repaired?

Does anyone else have this problem?  Looking forward to your comments...

You need a new LCD module.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...indpost&p=44128

P.S. The search feature on this forum works great!

I have 99 GS3 with a stock sound system with numbers and symbols periodically appearing and disappearing.  Do I have a loose connection, bad display?  What can I do to repair this? Is it something I can do myself? Can it be repaired?

Search as this has been covered before <_<

Sometimes missing segments are caused by a bad connection between the printed circuit board and the LCD. Some LCD assemblies (and I’m not saying Lexus displays use these because I’ve never torn into one) are built with an elastomer connector that make the electrical contact. These contacts can become intermittent for a number of reasons and sometimes can be corrected by simply disassembly and cleaning the contacts of the printed circuit board and the connector itself. I have revitalized the LCD on my home thermostat a couple of times. This does mean removal of the unit from the dash and disassembly of the entire unit and unless you’re an experienced tinkerer, not something I’d recommend. And let me disclaim again, I do not know if the Lexus units use this type of connection method.

No, they do not use the elastomeric contact strip design. A flat ribbon cable is bonded to the glass display via an electrically conductive adhesive. There is no financially feasible repair for this type of problem besides module replacement.