Thanks Guys! I Bought The '98 Ls400!

Gumart1

Here is my "Oscar Speech" thank you list to...VBDenny, Silvermate, Blake918, jvcn, Wandawoods, KY350, lovlex, TexasLexus94, HRP, 95LS400Bob, 914lps, 1990LS400, Migirdech, 90LS400Lexus, Armyofone, Mickq, Jadecuir, and Bartkat. I really appreciated your help and advice and I feel it really paid off. I bought the Blue 98 LS400 with 97k miles for exactly $12,000. He was asking $12,500, and I drove over 5 hours from the Chicago suburbs to Cincinnati to complete the deal. Unfortunately I did have to take the risk of inspecting the car myself because the dealerships couldn't fit me in for the inspection, and I think the Seller knew he priced it too low because of the # of calls that came in, so I took a chance. Before I did, I checked the Carfax (clean) and was faxed an extensive dealer maintained service history including oil changes every 5k, the 30, 60, and 90k service including the timing belt/water pump/thermostat which had been replaced just 3 months ago! This particular one did not have the HID which I was really hoping but able to live without. I was aware of one 2" long ding and some paint flaking from where the front windshield meets the frame, but I did find a few more defects which allowed me to bargain further down to 12k from his original asking price of $12,500. I could not even find a '98 anywhere in the country under $15k!

The drive home was an absolute dream, especially after driving there in a '96 Saturn. Someone took away the rough roads! The smoothness and quiet was incredible. And every 5 minutes I realized I was going way to fast. The cd changer (not Nakamichi) was loaded up with my personal choices and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours carried me along. Every now and then I had to turn the music down and appreciate the quiet, or listen to the silky smooth engine as I pushed her a little bit. The suspension seems perfect, no rattles, clunks, etc. Everything works on the car as it should. I love the body style, the wheels, the soft leather. It's my first so :) :) :) A '90 would have been great as well but I'm so happy to fall upon a '98. From my inspection, I have a few issues that I'd appreciate some input on. Don't feel obligated to answer them all, any contribution is great.

1) I need hood struts. I know this has been covered, but for the '98 do I need to drill/adapt the Autozone $16.99 mounts or are there inexpensive replacements for this year?

2) Hopefully not a major issue: The car cranks longer to start when the engine is warm. It starts almost immediately when cold, but after being driven it cranks twice as long. I don't know if there is a connection, but the prior owner had the starter replaced after an intermittent no start and then starter failure. This was done 6 months/10k miles ago. The car was brought back to Lexus a week later with a foul odor, and Lexus then replaced the "fuel return line gaskets". It cranks very fast but takes much longer to fire up. Is the problem related to the fuel pump, computer control module, I have no idea, and I don't want to burn out the new starter.

3) License plate bolts are rusted out and stripped. Couldn't get his old plates off so they are still on the car. Should I spray Liquid wrench or do I have to drill these out? I don't want to hurt the paint.

4) Looking down onto the serpentine belt, I noticed that the pulley to the far left (idler pulley?) does not pull the belt in a straight line. Instead, it has a wobble to it that is quite noticeable. I also noticed that the radiator fan at the front of the car also wobbles and does not spin straight. Everything works fine, but when I saw this, I made sure to check the body panels codes to make sure no collision and everything was OK.

5) Coolant resovoir - one plastic mount is broken. Since this is one continous piece from the plastic resovoir I intend to glue the piece back so that I don't have to replace the entire resovoir.

That's about it! I'm most concerned about the warm engine/long start but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to take this car another 200k. Thanks again!

Welcome, it's great to hear about your new LS :cheers:! Man, I would love a 98! Just for future reference, it's best to ask one question per thread, then the thread can stay on topic.

1) Most likely you will have to drill the cheap struts or pay for Toyota ones. I highly doubt Lexus/Toyota came out with cheapers ones.

2) That's strange...not sure. It should be the other way around...cold start takes longer than warmed up start. Hmmm I'll think about it more.

3) Have you tried spraying on some WD-40 and then trying the bolts?

4) You could check the torques on the bolts but you're probably just worrying about nothing.

5) I'd have to see a picture.

Where are the pics of your new LS, let's see your new baby!

Hi and welcome.

Although I'm still quite new to Lexus I'll try to add my 2 Cents.

Paint flaking around windshield. I have seen this once and it was 'cause the screen was replaced and they didn't do it right. In that specific case moisture crept in and run along all the top of the screen making the paint buble for half an inch over much of the roofs with. Extremely nasty and VERY expensive to correct. Just do something immediately.

Cold start good, bad on warm? Hm it definitely IS not correct. I'd do the regular cap/wires change and see if it helps. It can't hurt anyway. But you can't ruin a starter in such relative short atempts.

License plate bolts rusty. Rust remover works over TIME. This is the clue. Soak it for about a week once per day and they will come loose. Replace with new ones and coat them with copper grease before fitting.

Idler pulley bearings can go awry. If it's the only one that wobbles I'd replace it as a preventive measure. Should be quite straightforward. If the bearing fails it will leave you without alternator and power steering. Not ideal if you are a long way from home.

For the fan: Grab it and check for ANY lateral movement. There should be close to nothing. Fan bearings can go bad and if you are unlucky the fan grabs the radiator which results in an expensive mess.

Collant reservor. I'd put Epoxy glue on it, the 2-components type. This will surely do it if you degrease it thoroughly before applying. But question is WHY did it come apart?

totally agree with Lexus_lux on soaking the bolts "over time"........

spray 3-5 times a day for a few days or more and they will eventually loosen.

I do think you can use epoxy type cement to replace the broken mount on the coolant reservoir - do give it a try!!

That's a VERY, VERY low price for 98 LS......... The color isn't very popular so that helps a bunch in price ----well done.

CHeck your air filter and cabin filter too!!

:cheers:

Congratulations! If you want aftermarket HIDs that can be done pretty painlessly. I guess since it doesn't have the HIDs it doesn't have the wood/leather wheel either right?

1) I need hood struts. I know this has been covered, but for the '98 do I need to drill/adapt the Autozone $16.99 mounts or are there inexpensive replacements for this year?

You'll have to try and adapt the Autozone struts, the struts from Lexus are still $100 each on this year.

3) License plate bolts are rusted out and stripped. Couldn't get his old plates off so they are still on the car. Should I spray Liquid wrench or do I have to drill these out? I don't want to hurt the paint.

The front ones? This is very common on that series LS400. I agree with the advice you've already gotten.

some paint flaking from where the front windshield meets the frame

Can you post a picture of this? Is the paint flaking on the two black trim peices on each side of the windshield? That is very common and can easily be fixed. My dad had this problem on his 98 when it was only a few years old and we bought new trim and replaced it ourselves.

Help! I just took some photos but they won't download onto this post. I find the file on my desktop and add it as an attachment, but when the screen refreshes, the photo attachment is gone. Anyway, yes, the paint flaking is exactly on the black trim pieces on the sides of the windshield. It looks awful. It is contained only to the trim on the passenger side of the car. In regards to my other issues, I was able to sand, clean, and epoxy (2 part) the coolant mount. I think it will hold very well. Thanks. I've also decided to adapt the Autozone struts to save a few dollars. Looks pretty straightforward from the helpful posts here on this site. I'm also spraying Liquid Wrench 3 times a day for a few days to loosen the lic. plate bolts. My serp. belt pulley and fan wobble do not make noise, so I don't suspect the bearings. As stated, it's probably nothing but I'll see if I can tighten the bolt on the pulley. That leaves my warm start issue which is totally perplexing. By the way, I was not lucky enough to get the HID or the wood trim around the wheel/shifter - that would have been icing on the cake! One more question, where do I access the cabin filter to check its condition?

Save the photos to the gallery and go to "properties" under the sub menu for the photo (accessed by right clicking the picture). Hold down "alt + g) when typing a post and paste the URL into the window that pops up.

One more question, where do I access the cabin filter to check its condition?

It's behind the lower glove box...........there is a removable plastic section and then you can get to the filter. Should be info in the owners manual- I think....It's about $45 from dealer for a new one - they are not cheap (what is on an LS anyway??? :whistles: ) :lol:

I hope I can take care of my Lexus better than I learn to use this site. I can't seem to post pics. SW03ES, I used your link to the gallery but can't find the place to upload pics, I only found the administrator options and tried to upload there, but it doesn't complete. Is it because I am uploading from an IMac? Am I supposed to save them when I am replying, and direct the photos to the gallery, or go to the gallery and save them there first? I'm sorry to fill the post with this issue.

Last night I found the owners manual and the instructions for checking the cabin filter. I haven't checked it yet, but do you think it was done at the 90k service just 3 months ago? Same for the air filter? As suggested, I think I will create separate threads for each of my questions to separate them. Thx.

I hope I can take care of my Lexus better than I learn to use this site. I can't seem to post pics. SW03ES, I used your link to the gallery but can't find the place to upload pics, I only found the administrator options and tried to upload there, but it doesn't complete. Is it because I am uploading from an IMac? Am I supposed to save them when I am replying, and direct the photos to the gallery, or go to the gallery and save them there first? I'm sorry to fill the post with this issue.

Last night I found the owners manual and the instructions for checking the cabin filter. I haven't checked it yet, but do you think it was done at the 90k service just 3 months ago? Same for the air filter? As suggested, I think I will create separate threads for each of my questions to separate them. Thx.

Yes, they should look new --that's why I'd check them ---because I don't trust the service :pirate:

SWO - I also think the photo upload is second rate. There are lots of forums where you just upload right from your HD to your post, makes LOC's look very cumbersome---just my 2 cents....

I've never actually tried to use the new photo upload deal, I'll check it out.

If you want to send me your pictures I'll host them and post them for you, email them to swithrow03@yahoo.com

Yeah somethings wrong, It says that there is no global space left on the server for attatchments. I'm sure this is just an error, I'll see what I can do.

His car looks great though, you'll all get to see it soon I promise!

I just replaced the #2 idler pulley (about $60) on my LS and it sounds like you'll need to do the same. Literally a 15 minute job. Loosen the tension on the serp

belt and hold it in place. Remove the single bolt on the old pulley, remove it, and replace with the new one. Torque and the release the tensioner again and you're done. Do it soon as they do seize and fail.

Bob

Gumart, congrats on such a beautiful new car! She's a real beauty; that's my favorite gen too. I really like the blue(I think ES's look really nice in dark blue too). B)

This is a little late, but I bought Toyota OEM hood struts on ebay for about $75 for the 2 sturts.I don't use imitation parts on my Lexi-I think it's worth it to pay up for the real deals. Not to mention, $75 is a helluva good deal. I paid 2x that for the struts on my ES. :chairshot:

Thanks a lot for posting my pics Steve and thank for the compliments Blake (and the rest)! I already purchased the hood struts and looked at the tutorial but just like my license plate bolts I can't seem to loosen the nut on the struts. Not having much luck but I do have patience. I am on the 3rd day of spraying the bolts 4 times a day and I got one of four free, but the other philips heads are totally rusted and stripped, so the screwdriver is useless. I've also tried my channel locks on them but can't get them to hold. Ordered a new cabin filter from Irontoad.com along with some oil filters. It been above freezing here in Chicago but boy do I wish I were in Florida or Arizona right now. The only thing that would be really nice to go with my dream car is a dream house with a 4-car heated garage!

Thanks a lot for posting my pics Steve and thank for the compliments Blake (and the rest)! I already purchased the hood struts and looked at the tutorial but just like my license plate bolts I can't seem to loosen the nut on the struts. Not having much luck but I do have patience. I am on the 3rd day of spraying the bolts 4 times a day and I got one of four free, but the other philips heads are totally rusted and stripped, so the screwdriver is useless. I've also tried my channel locks on them but can't get them to hold. Ordered a new cabin filter from Irontoad.com along with some oil filters. It been above freezing here in Chicago but boy do I wish I were in Florida or Arizona right now. The only thing that would be really nice to go with my dream car is a dream house with a 4-car heated garage!

Gumart,

try a cordless drill (on LOW RPM) with a extraction screw made for stripped threads, it will dig into the stripped head and eventually grab and extract it...

Or, first off, try another Oversized phillips and really press into it while turning - another trick is to use Locking Pliers.....

Those bolts are Metric - I believe.......very close to 1/4-20 but not quite right...

I think they may be 8mm.........so save one and go to Autozone or similar for replacement.

Be sure to put a little WD on the new threads when you put the new plate on :lol:

Your car looks great---I do like the color!!!

I'm trying to post Gumart's pics now.

Man, you guys are right this gallery is rediculous! I'll definately say something to Matt.

Don't worry Gumart, I'll get em up here some how!

Yea.......look into that for us Steve - that would be nice.....

Other forums (not Auto-I"m LOC all the way :D ) I'm on have a simple way of uploading straight from my computer when making a new post------easy to do...

People love photos and this forum could use an easier feature - we have a great group!!!!!