Quietest Car On The Road?

Gumart1

Every review of the Lexus LS400 I have read illustrates just how quite the ride of this car is, especially on the highway. Also, a couple of reviews have stated the the 95' and up model are even quieter. Does anyone know of actual specifications or tests that list the decibel levels of noise for this model, and other model cars for comparison? Is the LS400 the quietest car on the road?

One of the design goals for the F1 (Flagship One, the prototype of the Lexus 400) was a top speed of 155 Mph, 22.5 miles per gallon AND to have a noise level at 60 miles per hour of 60 Decibels (Mercedes S and BMW 750s are both over 60). All those goals were achieved.

On the new LS430 interior noise at idle is 36 dB, an incredible low level. The second best car in the world in this discipline, the Rolls Roice Silver Seraph scores 37 dB. Keep in mind that an increase of 3 dB is felt double as loud. What's most amazing is that this level was not achieved by use of tons of padding. In fact noise insulation is sparingly used. Notice that increase in noise over 60Mph? That's tyre noise and padding could easily dampen that noise to unnoticable levels. But Toyota choose not to go that way. So at the red lights you hear your neigbours engine but not yours as the Lexus runs taht smooth.

• 1 month later...

The LS400 / LS430 are the quietest car on the road, but only from the standpoint of very low engine and drivetrain noise. From the standpoint of road noise, especially road noise on coarse road surfaces, the full size rear wheel drive luxury GM cars have always been best (Cadillacs, Buick Roadmasters & Chevy Caprices). But GM has discontinued making these rear wheel drive luxury cars (except maybe one of the Cads still has RWD)

In my search for the smoothest, quietest riding tire for the LS400 / LS430 I finally found my dream tire in the most unexpected of places - at Walmart !!. Yes, the Goodyear Viva 2 tire sold only at Walmart stores makes an LS400 seem like its riding on a cloud. These tires soak up road bumps with ease and transmit very, very little road noise and vibration to the cabin, plus they have low rolling resistance for high fuel economy.

The Goodyear Viva 2 is not real good for fast cornering or wet traction, however, so fast, aggressive drivers will not like them.

The LS400 / LS430 are the quietest car on the road, but only from the standpoint of very low engine and drivetrain noise.  From the standpoint of road noise, especially road noise on coarse road surfaces, the full size rear wheel drive luxury GM cars have always been best (Cadillacs, Buick Roadmasters & Chevy Caprices).  But GM has discontinued making these rear wheel drive luxury cars (except maybe one of the Cads still has RWD) 

In my search for the smoothest, quietest riding tire for the LS400 / LS430 I finally found my dream tire in the most unexpected of places - at Walmart !!.  Yes, the Goodyear Viva 2 tire sold only at Walmart stores makes an LS400 seem like its riding on a cloud.  These tires soak up road bumps with ease and transmit very, very little road noise and vibration to the cabin, plus they have low rolling resistance for high fuel economy. 

The Goodyear Viva 2 is not real good for fast cornering or wet traction, however, so fast, aggressive drivers will not like them.

you should try Falken Ziex Ze-512, or michelin energy MXV4. I have the energy's on my concorde, and they are quiet, but in half a million miles of driving, the Zeix ZE-512 is the quietest tire i have ever encountered. for the money, i cant beat it, i paid $45 a tire.

How quiet should they be? I've begun to notice on my 95 that I am hearing more and more engine noise. Do you guys with the 95 and 96 models hear you engine hum at about 80 mph range? Or are your engines virtually silent. I'm wondering if my exhaust system is begining to go. I'm getting a low hum into the cabin.

First of all don't look to magazines like car and driver to get any kind of statistical ratings. They have no controls or standards in their testing. Thats why the magazines all have such wildly different numbers.

As for tires, the MXV4s are allright but are hardly the best on the market contrary to what their price would suggest. Tires are very important on a Lexus for the reasons VGR mentioned.

If you want it quieter or more similar to a Cadillac to take the edge off the tires you could always have the floor dynamatted by a stereo shop.

First of all don't look to magazines like car and driver to get any kind of statistical ratings. They have no controls or standards in their testing. Thats why the magazines all have such wildly different numbers.

As for tires, the MXV4s are allright but are hardly the best on the market contrary to what their price would suggest. Tires are very important on a Lexus for the reasons VGR mentioned.

If you want it quieter or more similar to a Cadillac to take the edge off the tires you could always have the floor dynamatted by a stereo shop.

My biggest noise source by far, is wind. on a scaleof 1-10, 10 being worst:

Road noise at 80-1

Engine noise at 80-3 (i have a hole in my exhaust)

Wind noise at 80- 8.

my gen car doest slice through the wind, it is a moving brick. LOL.

Do you guys with the 95 and 96 models hear you engine hum at about 80 mph range? Or are your engines virtually silent.

My engine is nonexistant-there is absolutely no noise whatsoever :) , but I think I might be getting a little more wind noise than what I should be getting. I need to go drive some other LS's of my era or get someone to take a ride with me to see if my standards are too high or if I have a problem.

I don’t hear the engine while cruising at 80mph. But, I hear it while accelerating— much louder than I’d expect from a Lexus. I also hear wind noise at about 60mph+ which I didn’t expect from a Lexus, either. Does a car develop wind noise as it gets older?

1996 LS400, 120K

I don’t hear the engine while cruising at 80mph. But, I hear it while accelerating— much louder than I’d expect from a Lexus. I also hear wind noise at about 60mph+ which I didn’t expect from a Lexus, either. Does a car develop wind noise as it gets older?

1996 LS400, 120K

yes as it gets older its wind noise will increase. i probably need new weatherstipping all around, even though mine is soft and in good condition.

I think my mufflers are next on my list of things to address. How long to the cat's usually last? I noticed on my lexus dealer service history print out that a "charcoal cannister" replacement was done at 40k miles. Is that related to the cat's at all?