1998 Gs 400 Advice

I have a question that I would like to ask anyone for advice.

Their is another GS 400 that I am looking at for a friend and was wondering if there was anyone that had some good advice if this is a good deal or not.

Black exterior, Gray interior, paint looks very good from pictures, Carfax is good (although their is about 4 years that their was no smog on the car) 100,500 miles (Seems like a good average) 2 owners, receintly tuned up, alloy wheels. They are asking $14,500.

Any advice that I should tell him about?

Oh yeah, the car in North Carolina and will be shipping from their to Southern California. Anyone have any experience with buying out of state cars? Any confilcts with registration, I am just a little skeptical about buying a car that you can not drive or feel, but he is serious about this car and I am just looking for advice for him.

I appreciate everyones advice for this decision.

Revhard191

Put it this way

their is a 98 GS400 in spectra mica blue here in toronto it sold for 16 000 canadian with 123 000 km very nice car with awful repaint

I guarntee you wouldn;t see it in a pic though

it had some crazy bondo

to me it is accident repaired but under the guidelines of the auction place it is not because the job was not done properly which entails repalcing the panels and not repairing them.

Funny but that is probably why it went for only 16 000

it is cheaper than the one you are looking at and has less milage after the conversions.

btw the price i mentioned is wholesale not retail ,so i am sure someone is going to get boned thinking the car is perfect because they don;t know any better

SK,

email me if you can and i will forward you the email of the ad for the car and you can tell me what you think since you seem to have a lot of knowledge about the Lexus.

Thanks for your advice.

Revhard191

You from south California right? that's where i bought my 1998 GS400, i live in Minnesota by the way. honestly, i dont really know about the grey interior, if it was either tan or black, than it would look nice, but i'm going let you compare between my car that i just recently bought and that car in NC. My car is 1998 Lexus GS400 with 54,000 miles on it, 1 owner, and I bought it for only $14,700. there is nothing wrong with my car. I got it ship to minnesota and did the paper and everything, there is no problem with that, but if you're buying this car from the internet, then i dont know. i bought my car face to face with that owner. so good luck with that car.

P.S. shipping is going to cost you a few more hundred :P

There is a gold GS400 in Sacramento, very clean except small ripple in the driver's quarter panel. All options including navi. From a dealer asking $16K with 119K miles. Very good deal I think, I tried to buy it this weekend for $14K but the dealer wouldn't go for it. In order for me to get one with that high of milage it would have to be a great deal.

If your interested I can give you more info about it.

sactogs400:

I told my friend and he told me that he really wants a Black one. So I told him that I will keep my eyes open for one. Well he did say that he would consider a Brown one with tan interior. Thanks for the heads up on the GS 400.

One other question to the masses:

Has anyone done a deal out side of california? If so, did the DMV give you any problems trying to register it? What can be expected if he buys outside of california? What should he look for with the car? Any information on this matter will greatly be appreciated.

:cheers:

-Revhard191

sactogs400:

I told my friend and he told me that he really wants a Black one. So I told him that I will keep my eyes open for one. Well he did say that he would consider a Brown one with tan interior. Thanks for the heads up on the GS 400.

One other question to the masses:

Has anyone done a deal out side of california? If so, did the DMV give you any problems trying to register it? What can be expected if he buys outside of california? What should he look for with the car? Any information on this matter will greatly be appreciated.

-Revhard191

You shouldn't have any problems bringing a Lexus into CA from out of state. About 6 years ago I imported a 96 Chevy Impala SS from Canada and only had slight problems getting it in. And that was all red tape crap (they wanted me to pay $1500 for basically a detailed SMOG check) which you shouldn't have a problem with if the car is from the US already.

sactogs400:

We have been looking on the internet and we have found a Silver with Black interior that he is considering to purchase. It already has 20's with a aftermarket indash DVD player with a more than mild system.

The car has 120K on the motor, and he will be sending me pictures this week. He is also located in Sacramento so we may be taking a trip out there very soon. What are some views for the mileage on this one? They are asking $14.5 for the car but he said that he will be negotiable.

Has anyone had a bad experience buying from eBay? He has also found another one their and is really getting anxious to purchase one.

Thanks again for the advise.

Revhard191

I bought that 96 Impala off of Ebay, however, I had a lot of contact with the seller and it turned out he was a really good guy. He told me if I didn't like the car when I arrived to buy it he wouldn't hold me to it.

I would just say, read the feedback, contact the seller via the phone, and get a feel for them. I've noticed looking for my GS that I could find a better deal off of Ebay then on. Ebay has gotten so big the deals on cars are not as good as they used to be.