Buying A 2002/2003 Gs430 - Need Info

hey guys,

I got an rx330, and I love it. My dads benz died (transmission finally went BOOM!).

I am checking the local auctions with my buddy looking for a new car for him.

A lexus gs430 looks sweet. From what I have read, it does not burn much mroe gas then the v6 and is not underpowered.

What should I look for/avoid when getting one of these cars?

phil

the gs430 is a really good choice. It is very reliable and has been known to have little problems. If you can afford the price, like the looks of it, i would highly recommend getting one. The gs430 has a powerful 4.3 liter v8, and its gas mileage is good for the size. There is also the gs300, which has a 3.0 liter v6. Less power but saves on gas mileage. The gs430 has more interior luxury features like wood and leather steering wheel which i find nicer then the others. But it all depends on what you prefer..

when looking for a new car i would suggest finding one that is not a new model. When a new model is first produced, there are bound to be problems. For example in '99 lexus made their first car-based suv, the rx300. Later it was found that it had major transmission and overheating problems. In 2004 they finally stopped making this problemed rx300. They came out with the rx330, with a 3.3 liter engine. And even still it has transmission problems, but not caused be the same reason as the rx300. Hopefuly it will be fixed before the 3rd generation of rx's.

In 1993 lexus produced the first gs300. This was the first generation of the gs series with the same 3 liter engine first produced in the 1992 es300's.

In the years of 1993-1997 the gs300 was not changed in any major ways. A few here and there but no major problems, all fixed.

In 1998 lexus produced the second generation of the gs series. A WHOLE NEW body style, but still the 3 liter engine.

In 1999 lexus produced a 3rd generation gs; the gs400. This had a larger 4.0 liter engine, but still the same body style as the 1998. The gs300 (3 liter engine) was still being produced since 1993!

In 2000 no major changes were made. All small problems were fixed. Still the gs300 and gs400 models.

In 2001 another gs model was produced; the gs430. This had an even larger 4.3 liter engine! The gs400 was not being produced any longer though. I guess lexus thought it had enough choices for the gs...

Now there was a gs300 and the gs430.

In the years of 2001- 2005 NO changes were made to the gs300 or gs430.

The point of this is this:

The gs300 3.0 liter engine was first made in 1993, and any possible improvements/imperfections have already been made and fixed. There are ABSOLUTELY NO POSSIBLE bugs in the gs300 model. (1993-2005) 12 years..

The gs430 4.3 liter engine has only been made since 2001, so 4 years. Not all the bugs have been fixed yet, therefore more problems are likely to occur in the new gs430.

another modle you might be interested in is the es330. The only drawback is that this 3.3 liter engine is the same as the rx330 first made in 2004; PROBLEMS WAITINBG TO HAPPEN...

Also there is the Ls430. This is the 3rd-ish generation of the LS series. 1990-2000 the LS400 was made with a 4 liter engine. All problems/defects were fixed. In 2001 the LS430 was made with the same 4.3 liter engine as the gs430. But like i said it has only been in service for 4 years so it's probably not your best bet. It is a wonderful modle though.

but as it is, lexus models are the nicest of all in my opinion. They all end up getting passengers where they want to go and are very reliable. Any model will work, but may have minor defects dependindg on the length of time it has been made for so problems can be fixed.

If you are interested in learning more about all the different lexus models, go to lexus.com there is a LOT of info about model changes throught the years etc.

hope it helps

In 1993 lexus produced the first gs300. This was the first generation of the gs series with the same 3 liter engine first produced in the 1992 es300's.

In the years of 1993-1997 the gs300 was not changed in any major ways. A few here and there but no major problems, all fixed. 

In 1998 lexus produced the second generation of the gs series. A WHOLE NEW body style, but still the 3 liter engine.

In 1999 lexus produced a 3rd generation gs; the gs400. This had a larger 4.0 liter engine, but still the same body style as the 1998. The gs300 (3 liter engine) was still being produced since 1993!

In 2000 no major changes were made. All small problems were fixed. Still the gs300 and gs400 models.

In 2001 another gs model was produced; the gs430. This had an even larger 4.3 liter engine! The gs400 was not being produced any longer though. I guess lexus thought it had enough choices for the gs...

Now there was a gs300 and the gs430.

In the years of 2001- 2005 NO changes were made to the gs300 or gs430.

The point of this is this:

The gs300 3.0 liter engine was first made in 1993, and any possible improvements/imperfections have already been made and fixed. There are ABSOLUTELY NO POSSIBLE bugs in the gs300 model. (1993-2005) 12 years..

The gs430 4.3 liter engine has only been made since 2001, so 4 years. Not all the bugs have been fixed yet, therefore more problems are likely to occur in the new gs430.

There are a lot more to a car than just the engine. It seems like you are basing changes on only the engine. There have been changes to exterior and interior attributes, upgrades to brakes, and mechanicals over the years on the GS line, some major, some not. When you say there are "ABSOLUTELY NO POSSIBLE bugs in the GS300 model", are you again speaking of the engine only? You also state that the 4.3L engine has been around for 4 year and can still have problems. I don't dispute that but how long is someone supposed to wait until they get a car with a "new" engine?

Your first statement was

when looking for a new car i would suggest finding one that is not a new model. When a new model is first produced, there are bound to be problems.

Are you saying the GS430 is a new model that should be avoided because there may be problems?

I see you have a GS430 in your list of cars so I assume you own one. From the tone of your post, it seemed too much "buyer beware". I just did not want to scare away Messerchmidt from buying a GS. Seeing that it is nearing the end of its model cycle, the second gen GS is about as solid as it is ever going to get.

BTW - There was a second gen GS400 in 98 too.

What bugs? I've not heard of any problems with the V8 4.3 and it is an improved and larger version of the 4.0 engine anyway which has been used since 1989.