Lexus Es 300 Engine Issue

sheddude

I have a 1997 es300, and the CEL light just came on. I went to Autozone, and found that the error code was PO135. This is a heat issue. However, I haven't really had any issues with my heat. The heat appears to be working fine.

I need some suggestions as to what I should do. Do I need to take it to a dealer or could my neighborhood mechanic take care of this. Also, what might I expect to pay for this sort of repair.

Thanks.

I have a 1997 es300, and the CEL light just came on. I went to Autozone, and found that the error code was PO135.  This is a heat issue.  However, I haven't really had any issues with my heat.  The heat appears to be working fine.

I need some suggestions as to what I should do.  Do I need to take it to a dealer or could my neighborhood mechanic take care of this.  Also, what might I expect to pay for this sort of repair.

Thanks.

its not a heater issue, but an issue with engine temperatures.

135 i believe is a bank running lean, or an o2 sensor i cant remeber which though...

P0135 has nothing to do with the heat as in the temperature inside you car or the coolant system.

P0135 is a faulty O2 sensor, specifically, Heater Circuit Malfuntion.

The O2 sensor in question is located at Bank 1 Sensor 1. This is the O2 sensor that is between the firewall and the engine.

Solution:

1. Replace the O2 senosr.

- the dealership will charge you and arm and a leg.

- the OEM O2 sensor can be had at www.sparkplugs.com for $89.49. It is not

hard to replace. You will need a special socket (at autozone for about $15).

2. Get a motorvac and see if that doesn't clean your current O2 sensor for the time being.

steviej

P0135 has nothing to do with the heat as in the temperature inside you car or the coolant system.

P0135 is a faulty O2 sensor, specifically, Heater Circuit Malfuntion. 

The O2 sensor in question is located at Bank 1 Sensor 1.  This is the O2 sensor that is between the firewall and the engine.

Solution: 

1.  Replace the O2 senosr.

- the dealership will charge you and arm and a leg.

- the OEM O2 sensor can be had at www.sparkplugs.com for $89.49.  It is not 

hard to replace.  You will need a special socket (at autozone for about $15).

2.  Get a motorvac and see if that doesn't clean your current O2 sensor for the time being.

steviej

there sint anything in the coolant system that will trigger a CEL i dont think...only a low coolant light. O2 sensors are fairly easy. on mine they are a piece of cake, im just waiting for the dya when the o2 sensors go, so i can fix the hole in my flex pipe while im in there...

there sint anything in the coolant system that will trigger a CEL i dont think...only a low coolant light. 

P0115, P0116, P0125 and P0128 are all engine coolant temperature and thermostat related trouble codes that will set off your CEL.

steviej

Oxygen sensors, like spark plugs are normal wear items. Delaying oxygen sensor replacement is false economy in multiple ways because a lazy sensor causes the engine to burn more gasoline which in turn worsens the concentration of unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream which in turn shortens the life of expensive emission system components. Owners who delay preventive maintenance like replacing oxygen sensors typically end up becoming entrapped in a vicious circle of ongoing and unending mechanical problems and repairs.

common problem on the 1mz-fe from 97-01

usually has a dirty egr and iacv as well so a motorvac would do you well

i think he thinks it has somethign do do with the heater beacuse the o2 sensor is refered to as a heater failure

not because of a cooling issue jsut wording

Oxygen sensors, like spark plugs are normal wear items. Delaying oxygen sensor replacement is false economy in multiple ways because a lazy sensor causes the engine to burn more gasoline which in turn worsens the concentration of unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream which in turn shortens the life of expensive emission system components.  Owners who delay preventive maintenance like replacing oxygen sensors typically end up becoming entrapped in a vicious circle of ongoing and unending mechanical problems and repairs.

Agreed monarch.....it's one of the most (if not THE most) overlooked item when doing a tune up.......very important item to replace at regular intervals in the owners manual. B)

:cheers:

I have a 1997 es300, and the CEL light just came on. I went to Autozone, and found that the error code was PO135.  This is a heat issue.  However, I haven't really had any issues with my heat.  The heat appears to be working fine.

I need some suggestions as to what I should do.  Do I need to take it to a dealer or could my neighborhood mechanic take care of this.  Also, what might I expect to pay for this sort of repair.

Thanks.

Oxygen sensors, like spark plugs are normal wear items. Delaying oxygen sensor replacement is false economy in multiple ways because a lazy sensor causes the engine to burn more gasoline which in turn worsens the concentration of unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream which in turn shortens the life of expensive emission system components.  Owners who delay preventive maintenance like replacing oxygen sensors typically end up becoming entrapped in a vicious circle of ongoing and unending mechanical problems and repairs.

how offten should they be changed? at about 80,000 becuase that is not cheep almost 400 bucks for the 4 of them or can you get away with just doing the first 2?

how offten should they be changed? at about 80,000 becuase that is not cheep almost 400 bucks for the 4 of them or can you get away with just doing the first 2?

The answer shoudl be in your 'maintenance' supplement manual. There are other factors as well such as the quality & grade of gasoline is used, if the car is driven for very short trips vs. highway trips over 12 miles or so etc. B)

:cheers: