Wierd Coolant Noise In Dash

lexus400

I just a TB/water pump and have an odd side effect. When I give the car gas, I can hear coolant sloshing around inside the dash. I'm thinking it might be an air lock. Is there a bleed screw on the 3.0 liter like there is on the 4.0 ? I drained the coolant from the radiator and filled up thru the cap on the top of the engine (timing belt side). Anyone ever have this happen ? The odd thing is that I thought I heard this when I replaced my struts a few days ago. I had the back seat out and thought it was just the gas tank... maybe it's just cooincidence.

Bob

may be an air lock.

I know there is a trick/special way of refilling the coolant on the ES. It is not as straight forward as just pouring it in. Air gets trapped very easily, the special way is supposed to insure that all excess air is expelled before the pressure cap is secured.

steviej

I had the EXACT problem on my 98 es300. I could hear it when i started it in the morning and when i gave it gas. It ends up that I didn't have enough coolant in my system. I filled the overfill up and also filled up the radiator when it was cold and it eliminated my problem. My advice would be just fill up your coolant and see if that works.

Excellent, thanks... maybe it's just low. It must be based on your description.

Bob

mine does it too. but i need a coolant flush...bad :blink:

This is a little different, but on a previous car, I heard the same noise coming from the dashboard... and I also had steam (condensation) coming out of the vents when I would turn the corner. It turned out that the place where the A/C drains out (the thing underneath the car, not the tailpipe) had been blocked by a leaf and there was like a gallon of liquid that had not been able to drain, which is what had been causing the condensation. Maybe something like that is the cause of your problem?

Excellent, thanks... maybe it's just low. It must be based on your description.

Bob

mine does it too. but i need a coolant flush...bad :blink:

This is a little different, but on a previous car, I heard the same noise coming from the dashboard... and I also had steam (condensation) coming out of the vents when I would turn the corner. It turned out that the place where the A/C drains out (the thing underneath the car, not the tailpipe) had been blocked by a leaf and there was like a gallon of liquid that had not been able to drain, which is what had been causing the condensation. Maybe something like that is the cause of your problem?

not unless it is clogged with oil, the ENTIRE right side of my motor is covered with OIL, and when my CV joints ent in october, they slung grease all over the motor, i will go check that.

thing is, its done it since i got the car in september, i doubt its the cause, but worth a look. thanks!