Engine Check Light

mchowdhu

:cries:

Hi, I purchased a 97 ES300 about two months ago. In my past two months of ownership I have experienced the joy of "engine check" light for at least 5 times. It has given the OBD code P133 and P130 for most of the time. The dealer changed the sensor 1 on bank 1 and the one at the rear of the catalyst. It still giving the OBD code P130. I am not sure what to do. Dealer does not have any clue either. The funny thing is the "engine check" light goes away when come to the dealer for the checkup. It happened twice so far. Do you know what causing it to reset the light automatically? I don't believe in ghost. But, I believe there is something wrong internally that my Lexus techs keep overlooking.

Does anybody had this same problem that I have now. If we have a factory tech in this forum, could you put your kind thoughts in this issue?

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Mo

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a 97 ES 300 in august 94 with 95k on it. The engine light first came on in colder weather driving in the mountains (I had also put regular fuel in the car) and I had it checked by a regular shop (not lexus) and they said that it was most likely caused by a knock in the engine. They said that they turned the warning off and that the sensor may need replacing but that would be a costly fix for the problem as would be lots of labour to change it, and not to worry about it.

The light has been coming on steady since then, on for 50k or so and then off, usually when it is cold out and I forget to let the car run for a minute before moving. I sure would like some advise on this as well.

Now the track off light it on as well. As soon as the front tire hit snow this week the track off light came on and stayed on. So what is up with that?

Since purchase I have had the timing belt replaced and the front brakes done. I have notice the steering wheel shaking on light braking lately.

Help.

Thanks

:cries:

Hi, I purchased a 97 ES300 about two months ago. In my past two months of ownership I have experienced the joy of "engine check" light for at least 5 times. It has given the OBD code P133 and P130 for most of the time. The dealer changed the sensor 1 on bank 1 and the one at the rear of the catalyst. It still giving the OBD code P130. I am not sure what to do. Dealer does not have any clue either. The funny thing is the "engine check" light goes away when come to the dealer for the checkup. It happened twice so far. Do you know what causing it to reset the light automatically? I don't believe in ghost. But, I believe there is something wrong internally that my Lexus techs keep overlooking.

Does anybody had this same problem that I have now. If we have a factory tech in this forum, could you put your kind thoughts in this issue?

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Mo

BC97ES300

If your CEL is on, then get the codes read. There are plenty of trouble codes that will illuminate this idiot light on the dash. Autozne and Pepboys will read them for free.

When you tires hit the snow did they spin fast or just vibrate. Sometimes the TRAC system gets overloaded when you spin a tire. The sensor(s) overheat(s) and then has to cool down before the light goes out. When it is cooled, it will reset when you turn the car off and then on again. Has the TRAC OFF light gone away since first appearence?

Did you try to push the TRAC OFF button accidentally? It may be that your TRAC system has been turned off manuall. The button should be on the lower part of the dash. If the TRAC system did not get turned off, then you may have a problem with the traction control system. Again, get the codes read.

Last possible scenario.

The CEL light is on for a reason. A signal was sent to the ECU that made the light come on. Could be anything from a loose gas cap to a bad O2 sensor to a faulty knock sensor, to a misfiring cylinder. (hundreds of possibilities). You could have developed a second problem that the ECU will put the car into "limp mode" or safety mode. This is signified by illumination of both the CEL and the TRAC OFF lights.

In any case, you won't know what you have until YOU GET THE CODES READ. Only the codes will provide the clues.

Post up the codes when you get them and we can better help you.

steviej

carbon build up

get a motorvac

Hi SK,

Thanks for the reply. I wonder how shopvac has to do with carbon build up?

In past two weeks. I had the engine check light come out again twice. When I took it to the dealer they said my O2 sensor that they replaced a month ago was defective. It was shorted out. They put a new one. After driving about 20 miles I got the Engine light again. It stayed up for couple of days then went off. Can someone please tell me what to do. Car drives fine while the Engine check light is on. If it's a carbon build up how do you clean it. I am just tired of driving back and forth to the dealer.

Regards,

Mo

Will do, thanks Steviej.

BC97ES300

If your CEL is on, then get the codes read.  There are plenty of trouble codes that will illuminate this idiot light on the dash.  Autozne and Pepboys will read them for free.

When you tires hit the snow did they spin fast or just vibrate.  Sometimes the TRAC system gets overloaded when you spin a tire.  The sensor(s) overheat(s) and then has to cool down before the light goes out.  When it is cooled, it will reset when you turn the car off and then on again.  Has the TRAC OFF light gone away since first appearence? 

Did you try to push the TRAC OFF button accidentally?  It may be that your TRAC system has been turned off manuall.  The button should be on the lower part of the dash.  If the TRAC system did not get turned off, then you may have a problem with the traction control system.  Again, get the codes read.

Last possible scenario.

The CEL light is on for a reason.  A signal was sent to the ECU that made the light come on.  Could be anything from a loose gas cap to a bad O2 sensor to a faulty knock sensor, to a misfiring cylinder.  (hundreds of possibilities).  You could have developed a second problem that the ECU will put the car into "limp mode" or safety mode.  This is signified by illumination of both the CEL and the TRAC OFF lights.

In any case, you won't know what you have until YOU GET THE CODES READ.  Only the codes will provide the clues.

Post up the codes when you get them and we can better help you.

steviej

Not a shop vac which is a vacume cleaner

A motorvac

it is a carbon cleaner for the engine

it works by removing deposits that block passages for air induction as well as covering sensors causing them to gice false readings beacause they are coated and can;t relay the proper temps to the ecu

Not a shop vac which is a vacume cleaner

A motorvac

it is a carbon cleaner for the engine

it works by removing deposits that block passages for air induction as well as covering sensors causing them to gice false readings beacause they are coated and can;t relay the proper temps to the ecu

SK,

About the motorvac, is it a quart of liquid that goes in the gas tank and mixes up with gasoline? Is it something that I can buy from Autozone or Pep boys? Do recommend any particular brand?

Thanks in advance.

www.motorvac.com

http://www.aescosc.com/MV_MCS245.html

its an equipment used by mechanic shops for complete fuel injection cleaning for carbon buildup. my local shops and dealerships never heard of it but they have their own equipment for the service (approx. $80-100 for the service, recommended every other year for preventive maintenance)

www.motorvac.com

http://www.aescosc.com/MV_MCS245.html

its an equipment used by mechanic shops for complete fuel injection cleaning for carbon buildup.  my local shops and dealerships never heard of it but they have their own equipment for the service (approx. $80-100 for the service, recommended every other year for preventive maintenance)

Khhoang,

You are right. In my area (Delaware) nobody is familiar with this particular brand (motorvac).

Is it really worth of try to use those liquid decarbonizing stuff from pepboys or Autozone. Thanks.

Mo

• 3 weeks later...
the basic cleaners onlydo just that a"basic"cleaning

a motorvac is a high concentrate which could never be left in the tank

it cleans carbon by gumming it up and blowing it out the exhaust

amazing results after

SKperformance,

Now dealer tells me that it has lean fuel in fuel line, therefore it was giving the "check engine" light. They think there is a lick somewhere that was causing the fuel to be lean.

What is that mean? Need your expert opinion.