1992 Es300 116,000 Miles

Anovice

I decided as preventative maintenance that I will get the timing belt changed. I will pruchase the parts on-line and will go to my local mechanic for the labor.

However, I did call the local dealership and they suggested the following:

1. Do the water pump at the same time

2. Do the two V-belts the same time

3. Change the thermostat the same time

These 3 in addition to the timing belt seem to make sense, unless you folks dis-agree. They also said to change the two cam seals and one crank seal at the same time. Do you agree? If so, will this add much more labor cost? Before I commit, I would appreciate any thoughts. I do have some oil leakage, but have no idea whatsoever if the sources are the cam seals or crank seal. Thanks much.

Ya that sounds just about right what they recommend on changing. I had the timing belts very recently done on my ES300 and Camry V6. They replaced the belts, the water pump, thermostat, and did the seals as well (I think). That of course adds to the parts and labor. Replacing the water pump along with the timing belt is always recommended because if the water pump fails, you have to take off the timing belt to get to it. By replacing it now, you save money on labor.

On another post I read about changing the tensioner pully and idler at the same time. Are these the two V-belts I mention in my origional post or something different?

So, from the post above it looks like the two cam seals and one crank seal should also be done?

I made an appointment with the mechanic for late next week and need to order whatever parts I need now. Thanks.

On another post I read about changing the tensioner pully and idler at the same time. Are these the two V-belts I mention in my origional post or something different?

So, from the post above it looks like the two cam seals and one crank seal should also be done?

I made an appointment with the mechanic for late next week and need to order whatever parts I need now. Thanks.

i would have the tensioner and idler changed to not much money and while they are down there they might as well. if i were you i would buy the seals but only have them change them if they are leaking i have changed many seals that were not leaking and then they started leaking so i only change them now if they are leaking.

Also these parts u are buying online are they oem or aftermarket becuae if they are aftermarket u might as well just let the shop get them.

I planned on purchasing the parts from Park Lexus in Plano Texas. The last time I purchased from them, the parts (air filter, PVC valve, fuel filter) all came in Toyota boxes. So, I assume the parts are OEM.

If I understand correctly, the tensioner and idler are IN ADDITION to my first post. Is this right?

I planned on purchasing the parts from Park Lexus in Plano Texas. The last time I purchased from them, the parts (air filter, PVC valve, fuel filter) all came in Toyota boxes. So, I assume the parts are OEM.

If I understand correctly, the tensioner and idler are IN ADDITION to my first post. Is this right?

Yup, that's correct. If your replacing the parts you mentioned, perhaps a complete tune up (spark plugs, air & fuel filter, PCV valve & even an engine coolant flush is wise too). B)

:cheers: