Dunlop Sp Sport 5000m Dsst Tires For Sc 430

splipp

Dislike my Bridgestone Potenza run flats and Dunlop SP Sport 5000M DSST tires have been suggested as a better alternative in run flats because they ride and handle better than the Potenzas. What is your experience with these Dunlops as proposed to me?

Thanks for your help and input.

I think that ANY runflat tire sucks! They ride pretty well for the first 10k miles or so, but once they start to wear a little, LOOK OUT! The technology has improved, but still has a way to go. I would forget about RF's, and go performance radials without hesitation!

Spare tire? Who cares. Join/call AAA and pay the annual fee for roadside assistance, or dont join AAA, and simply pay for a tow. You can get towed into town several times before you're paying more $$ than the Lexus spare tire kit would have cost you (about $700 without tax). For extreme situations, (ie, you're in the middle of nowhere without a phone), keep a can of Fix-A-Flat and a small air compressor in the trunk (the spare tire well works great) to limp your way back into town. Not many of us can remember our last flat tire...just doesnt happen very often. The better ride with the radials is well worth the "risk" of not having run-craps.

Look for other owner's testamonials as to the virtues of radials over run-flats. I'm getting "converted" this spring!

Good luck. :cheers:

I think that ANY runflat tire sucks!  They ride pretty well for the first 10k miles or so, but once they start to wear a little, LOOK OUT!  The technology has improved, but still has a way to go. I would forget about RF's, and go performance radials without hesitation!

Spare tire?  Who cares.  Join/call AAA and pay the annual fee for roadside assistance, or dont join AAA, and simply pay for a tow.  You can get towed into town several times before you're paying more $$ than the Lexus spare tire kit would have cost you (about $700 without tax).  For extreme situations, (ie,  you're in the middle of nowhere without a phone),  keep a can of Fix-A-Flat and a small air compressor in the trunk (the spare tire well works great) to limp your way back into town.  Not many of us can remember our last flat tire...just doesnt happen very often. The better ride with the radials is well worth the "risk" of not having run-craps.

Look for other owner's testamonials as to the virtues of radials over run-flats.  I'm getting "converted" this spring! 

Good luck.  :cheers:

Agreed! I'm not a huge fan of run flat's either........long way to go before the technology meets excellent traction in all weather conditions (Bridgestone can't even get that right on a conventional 'all season', never mind a RF :rolleyes: ). Go with dh's suggestion & I'd get a top quality regular high performance 'all season' with AAA any day. B) What is the exact tire size you need for your car? :unsure:

:cheers:

• 1 month later...
Dislike my Bridgestone Potenza run flats and Dunlop SP Sport 5000M DSST tires have been suggested as a better alternative in run flats because they ride and handle better than the Potenzas.  What is your experience with these Dunlops as proposed to me?

Thanks for your help and input.

It's not the tires! :chairshot: Lexus has designed the sc 430 with negative camber so that the inner tread wears out. No matter what. I rotated the tires x 3 and had 2 alignments done. I had to get rid of the Dunlop OEM run flats after 17,500 miles. I am told that that O gpt very good mileage but considering that the other 4 treads on each of the tires had approx. 8k miles left, the way I see it is that the alignment design wastes 4/5 of the tire! Anyone out there have a comment?? I know about the bushing replacements kits etc. That really is not the issue. For a $64K+ car to run like crap after only 17,000 miles is not right. :censored: Anyone pursue this with Lexus? Did you get any joy???