Oil System Flush?

chrispiss

Hey, after reading the topic about sludge problems, I was wondering about oil system flushes. I took the little pamphlet from my local shop and it said they use a "proprietory treatment solution" or something that flushes the used oil from the engine, and removes 99% of all used oil. I know if I asked the mechanic what they used he would give me the runaround saying it's a special blend of this and that yadda yadda. So I'm wondering if anybody here knows what's up with an oil system flush? Are they worth it? Do they work? Can they prevent sludge? And so on?

Thanks!

Hey, after reading the topic about sludge problems, I was wondering about oil system flushes. I took the little pamphlet from my local shop and it said they use a "proprietory treatment solution" or something that flushes the used oil from the engine, and removes 99% of all used oil. I know if I asked the mechanic what they used he would give me the runaround saying it's a special blend of this and that yadda yadda. So I'm wondering if anybody here knows what's up with an oil system flush? Are they worth it? Do they work? Can they prevent sludge? And so on?

Thanks!

Many of those 'engine flushing' products at more show than go.......the best way to prevent sludge is to perform all oil changes on time (and mileage) & use a high quality oil whether it be dino or synthetic. If your engine already has the sludge problem, it's toast (sooner or later) & no flushing product will be able to save it as the damage is already done. If purchasing a used ES (also applies to the RX, Camry, Highlander, Sienna etc) with the 3.0L V6 (1997 - 2001).......make sure you get ALL service & maintenance records before signing on the dotted line. If you can't get them, find another ES. Good Luck! B)

:cheers:

Thanks!

Many of those 'engine flushing' products at more show than go.......the best way to prevent sludge is to perform all oil changes on time (and mileage) & use a high quality oil whether it be dino or synthetic. If your engine already has the sludge problem, it's toast (sooner or later) & no flushing product will be able to save it as the damage is already done. If purchasing a used ES (also applies to the RX, Camry, Highlander, Sienna etc) with the 3.0L V6 (1997 - 2001).......make sure you get ALL service & maintenance records before signing on the dotted line. If you can't get them, find another ES. Good Luck! B)

:cheers:

expanding on what Lexusfreak said, but also disagreeing with a portion...

IF you can catch the sludge in its starting stages, a pressurized flush MIGHT save it. but thats a big might.

short answer is dont even bother. besides, if you really want to do it, youcan do it at home with oil flush from autozone

if an engine is bad enough nothing will return it

but i very much disagree with a good flush

i use them every 3rd oil change

it cleans so much crap out of an older engine it is amazing

but i always run new dyno oil for 2-3 dyas and then flush it out with synthetic as i don;t want any flush running in my engine for any long periods

a synthetic oil is also a good cleaner of old oil but the higher end like amsoil amd motul are much better at cleaning deposits that mobil 1 is by far

if an engine is bad enough nothing will return it

but i very much disagree with a good flush

i use them every 3rd oil change

it cleans so much crap out of an older engine it is amazing

but i always run new dyno oil for 2-3 dyas and then flush it out with synthetic as i don;t want any flush running in my engine for any long periods

a synthetic oil is also a good cleaner of old oil but the higher end like amsoil amd motul are much better at cleaning deposits that mobil 1 is by far

SK has a good point. if you have owned the car since new, flushing every 3rd oil change isnt a bad thing, IF its been maintained good. but these things that clean out engines, be weary...piston rings and valve seals on older engines can.do become brittle if the engine is not maintained properly.

alright. well as far as I know the oil was changd regularly except for the one right before I bought the car...it was changed and then sat in storage for a year, then I bought it and changed the oil. It seems to be running fine, I've only used synthetic oil since I bought it. Is there a 'test' of sorts to see if there is sludge?

alright. well as far as I know the oil was changd regularly except for the one right before I bought the car...it was changed and then sat in storage for a year, then I bought it and changed the oil. It seems to be running fine, I've only used synthetic oil since I bought it. Is there a 'test' of sorts to see if there is sludge?

look at the inside of your oil cap (turn it upside down) and also take a peek inside your valve covers. i dont really know of any other way without removing the oil pan.

as far as I know the oil was changd regularly except for the one right before I bought the car.

Then you have nothing to be worried about. If you are still concerned, have a mechanic remove onw od the engine's valve covers to inspect the valvetrain. Chances are the valvetrain parts will be very clean and it will be immediately obvious to you that "flushes" or "engine cleaner additives" are not needed because there is nothing inside the engine that needs to be cleaned up.

look at the inside of your oil cap (turn it upside down) and also take a peek inside your valve covers. i dont really know of any other way without removing the oil pan.

I thought the only way to check for sludge was to drop the oil pan? am i wrong but i thought by the time the slugde was making it to the head it was to late to do anything. I thought that the only way to catch sludge in time to save the engine was to catch it at the oil pan stage