Possible To Add Auto Up And Autodown To All Window

highlander

I have wanted to look into this, but I haven't taken the time yet. Does anyone know what years have what features in regards to the power windows? Did any of the 2000 or earlier have all auto up/down window controls?

From pictures, it looks like the whole module for power windows/locks is interchangeable between 1st gen up through the 2000 model year.

I don't know how difficult it would be to switch out the switches on a 2001 or newer model with the earlier ones. I might have to look into that.

The Lexus website says that for the 1998 LS400: "One-touch open/close feature with pinch protection added to all windows "

It may be a little more complicated that just exchanging switches. Lexus vehicles with the auto open/close feature also have a feature called "pitch protection". Pitch protection not only protects a person (mainly a child) from having a window or sunroof closed on an extremity but also prevents a child from being strangled by a closing window.

The parents of a child who was strangled to death by a closing a closing car window have led a lobbying effort that has led to a regulation change that will require a feature similar to "pinch protection" on all cars sold in the U.S. with power windows/sunroofs. Last I heard, U.S. car companies have delayed the implementation of this requirement by several years.

Personally, I don't find the auto open/close feature on our 2000 LS to be very useful. We had a 90 LS for over 13 years and I thought that having an "auto down" on the drivers window was enough.

A related feature I really do value is being able to lower all the windows and open the sunroof with a button on the key as I approach the car on a hot summer day.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back from the dead, but I found it through a related search and had some input for you guys on this.

DEI makes an add on control unit for their alarm systems that enables full up/down control from the remote. The bonus here is that it adds full auto up and down from the switches as well. You can add one without the use of an alarm just for the auto function, though I don't know the Lexus's schematic yet so I don't know how easy this is. The unit ties into the window motor wiring, so I imagine you'd would have to go into each door for it to work. The unit is called a 530T window automation system, I used to sell/install them for years when I was younger and had good success, I've got on my 240SX and my 525i and love it.

You could use a window roll up kit but it will be very expensive as each one only rolls up one window .

It also will not make it one touch close/open so you will need some kind of trigger since you factory switch cannot have an additinal position.

The factory auto close/open is controlled by seperate ecu's in each door and the factory switch having 4 positions each. Normal open and close then auto open and close when pressed down fully

You could use a window roll up kit but it will be very expensive as each one only rolls up one window .

It also will not make it one touch close/open so you will need some kind of trigger since you factory switch cannot have an additinal position.

The factory auto close/open is controlled by seperate ecu's in each door and the factory switch having 4 positions each. Normal open and close then auto open and close when pressed down fully

Some units do, yes. However the one I mentioned does two windows, up and down in one unit. Tied in right at the motor, the unit prolongs the pulse from the switch/ECU and holds it for full auto operation.

I wouldn't have brought up a solution if I knew it wouldn't work.