Weird Electrical Problem

Hi all, first of all I want to say hi. I have a '95 SC400 jade green. Now, for the important stuff...

Today I started noticing something awkward while traveling down I95 through Florida. No matter what speed I was going, my CD player would cut out for a few seconds whenever I hit the brakes or flipped a turn signal. Later on it got worse. Whenever I hit the brakes, the lights would dim AND the CD player would cut out for a bit then come back on. This only happens after the car has warmed up. A similar situation occured on my Supra when the fusible link for the alternator was bad. I don't think this is the battery or alternator because it starts fine in the cold. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Christian

This is a very common problem. Most likely your battery connections or the battery itself. Take apart the connections, clean them real good and then put them back on nice and tight. Check the negative ground cable for corrosion while your doing this. Excessive corrosion in the negative battery cable can also cause these symptoms. If that doesn't do it then have the battery and alternator checked. Do a search under electrical problems and you'll find a lot of threads on this.

I'd also like to add that the car fires up really quick after it has been sitting and cooled down, so I wouldn't think it would be a dying battery. I could be wrong though.

Exact same problem driving home with my new used GS400 that I bought today. Did you find the problem?

I'd also like to add that the car fires up really quick after it has been sitting and cooled down, so I wouldn't think it would be a dying battery. I could be wrong though.

Exact same problem driving home with my new used GS400 that I bought today. Did you find the problem?

Yes. Cleaning up and tightening the battery connections and replacing about 5 iffy fuses, including the 100A AM1 fusible link did the job. Let me know how it goes.

There is no such thing as an iffy fuse. A fuse only passes current up to a certain amp load and then it blows. If the fuse is not blown, it is good. I feel that you solved your problem by cleaning your connections. This problem is caused by a poor circuit, most likely the ground. It can be at the battery or at the other end of the connection. Spraying anti-corrosion only works effectively after you have cleaned the connections.

I only wanted to clarify so that others wouldn't think that you had to replace high-dollar fuses to solve this problem.

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all, first of all I want to say hi. I have a '95 SC400 jade green. Now, for the important stuff...

Today I started noticing something awkward while traveling down I95 through Florida. No matter what speed I was going, my CD player would cut out for a few seconds whenever I hit the brakes or flipped a turn signal. Later on it got worse. Whenever I hit the brakes, the lights would dim AND the CD player would cut out for a bit then come back on.  This only happens after the car has warmed up.  A similar situation occured on my Supra when the fusible link for the alternator was bad. I don't think this is the battery or alternator because it starts fine in the cold.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Christian

I have a "95 SC 400 and the same exact problems you just described are the problems I am having... I'm off to get a new battery and have 'em clean the cables for any corrosion and hopefully this fixes it

Today I started noticing something awkward while traveling down I95 through Florida. No matter what speed I was going, my CD player would cut out for a few seconds whenever I hit the brakes or flipped a turn signal. Later on it got worse. Whenever I hit the brakes, the lights would dim AND the CD player would cut out for a bit then come back on.  This only happens after the car has warmed up.  A similar situation occured on my Supra when the fusible link for the alternator was bad. I don't think this is the battery or alternator because it starts fine in the cold.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Christian

I have a "95 SC 400 and the same exact problems you just described are the problems I am having... I'm off to get a new battery and have 'em clean the cables for any corrosion and hopefully this fixes it

sup man my name is sergio and i can help u. the frame ground wire [body ground] is proablly bad. run a wire from the neg side of the batt rite to a bolt on the fender, etc. this should fix it. if u still need help call me @ 216-376-4515