Installed Tunnel Ram Air System

silvermate

I installed a Tunnel Ram air system on my LS last weekend.....and this thing pulls like a scalded ape now at WOT... :lol:

i made my own heat shielding out of 2 inch heat resistant foam to cover all parts surrounding the filter......as well as made another 5" funnel intake routing it from behing the front grille, running beside the radiator and directly in front of the filter..with 2 inch PVC Pipe painted black, to add to the OE air scoop running on top of the rad.....so i have two direct open air inlets now......

i've punched it twice, since i put it on, and it kind of startled me......it is really unnoticeable till the car hits about 4K RPM at WOT then all hell breaks loose, its LOUD and it pulls really hard..........its really impressive, and it really feels more like a V8.. a HUGE improvement over the stock and very restrictive air box setup.

i also reset the ECU to accomodate the new system, and will probably do that evey month or so......to keep her fresh and on her toes........

anyway its a cool little mod and it only took a couple of hours to fabricate everything i need that wasn't included in the kit........

i kept all the OE heat sheilding and plastic covers in place as well, so when you open the hood it all looks stock, and original, but you don't know what lies beneath... B) all you can really see is the 5" intake funnel in front of the Rad. when the hood is popped, its really clean lookin........

i'll take pictures when i get a chance.

post it to the gallery, i would like to take a look at em as well.

once u post em, post the link here

ok will do, probably first of next week, you'll love it its really cool, and works amazing :cheers: i'm really impressed.......

more cold air more power (although its kind of ironic since i never get on it) but its still fun to have, and it was fun to make B)

"i also reset the ECU to accomodate the new system, and will probably do that evey month or so......to keep her fresh and on her toes........"

What do you mean by that?

When you disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes or so, the ECU loses some of the memory it has stored as to driving habits, and some of the operating perameters. Basically the ECU goes back to it's "new" default learning state. Then when you drive the car the ECU is learning "fresh" info, including the airflow from the new intake.

The ECU would learn this anyway, but it might take over 200 miles or more of driving before it incorpoates all the info into the way it controls the engine. Most people reset the ECU after making a "performance" mod, so it starts learning right away.

I put a K&N airfilter on and wow, what a difference.  It actually seems to have lowered my gas milage since I am now tempted to "get on it" more often.

Hi VBdenny!! :)

That sounds great. But I have to admit - I'm a bit puzzled. IF merely installing a K&N airfilter made such a noticible improvement in performace [and I'm not doubting what you say - inspite of how this sounds!!] why wouldn't Lexus use a freer breathing airfilter to begin with? Along with the increase in performance - what are the negatives?

Craig!! :)

ps Good for you - silvermate. I look forward to seeing those photo's - too.

Probably because the K&N air filters cost about $40 - $50 each. I have K&N airfilters on all my cars. Cheap paper filters save automakers huge money.

I didn't expect the difference, but there really is. Plus you never have to replace the K&N airfilters, just clean them at 30-50K miles

• 5 months later...
I installed a Tunnel Ram air system on my LS last weekend.....and this thing pulls like a scalded ape now at WOT...  :lol:

i made my own heat shielding out of 2 inch heat resistant foam to cover all parts surrounding the filter......as well as made another 5" funnel intake routing it from behing the front grille, running beside the radiator and directly in front of the filter..with 2 inch PVC Pipe painted black, to add to the OE air scoop running on top of the rad.....so i have two direct open air inlets now......

i've punched it twice, since i put it on, and it kind of startled me......it is really unnoticeable till the car hits about 4K RPM at WOT then all hell breaks loose, its LOUD and it pulls really hard..........its really impressive, and it really feels more like a V8.. a HUGE improvement over the stock and very restrictive air box setup.

i also reset the ECU to accomodate the new system, and will probably do that evey month or so......to keep her fresh and on her toes........

anyway its a cool little mod and it only took a couple of hours to fabricate everything i need that wasn't included in the kit........

i kept all the OE heat sheilding and plastic covers in place as well, so when you open the hood it all looks stock, and original, but you don't know what lies beneath... B)  all you can really see is the 5" intake funnel in front of the Rad. when the hood is popped, its really clean lookin........

I installed a Tunnel Ram air system on my LS last weekend.....and this thing pulls like a scalded ape now at WOT...  :lol:

i kept all the OE heat sheilding and plastic covers in place as well, so when you open the hood it all looks stock, and original, but you don't know what lies beneath... B)  all you can really see is the 5" intake funnel in front of the Rad. when the hood is popped, its really clean lookin........

OPPS!

I have a 92 LS and would like to add some more performance too. Did you have a chance to take any photos or have any tips for others to do the same. Anything you would do different now that youv'e had this for a while? Thanks in advance!

By the way- isn't this the best site ever!!!

OPPS!

I have a 92 LS and would like to add some more performance too. Did you have a chance to take any photos or have any tips for others to do the same. Anything you would do different now that youv'e had this for a while? Thanks in advance!

By the way- isn't this the best site ever!!!

Also I would like to ask VBDENNY- what K&N filter did you use and where did you buy it? Cost? Any help you can give would be helpful. My last car was a VW R32 that I installed a Cold Air Intake to (Evolution Motorsports). Gave it a real deep throaty sound when you stomped on it. ;) Would love to do this to my 98 Ls as well. Anyway anything you can provide or add would be great (even photos if available). Thanks.