Walmart Special

ROBERT THOMASON

Walmart has a orbital buffer package for $19.95. It is back in the automotive and sporting good section. It is on a display with alot of other Christmas type gifts.

The buffer is a 10" 3200 RPM buffer with a 20' extension cord, carrying case,1 application bonnet,1polishing bonnet,1applicator pad,1detail brush. It is not a proffesional brand but it is cheap.

Walmart also has a very liberal return policy if it breaks or you dont like it. NO I dont work for Walmart, but thought I would pass this along, I bought one to try. Robert

These things are ok, but they're basically just a slightly easier way of applying wax or sealant. They won't help with swirls or light scratches. And frankly, I found them too much of a pain relative to hand application only. I tried a similar machine two years ago and returned it.

Without swirl removal you're doing little to improve the paint surface -- unless your paint is brand new and unmarred by the dealer.

For good surface prep -- including swirl and defect removal (or at least minimization), you should really step up to a Porter Cable Dual Action (orbital) polisher. I've seen it as low as $80 from Lowe's although it's more typically around $120-$140 on the web. [You'll also need to spend about $50 for pads] Unlike a rotary, it's safe for anyone to use, and you can switch pads easily. I've had it for only a couple of months, and let me tell you This is HOW the game is played!

Some people recommend the even more expensive Cyclo for better swirl removal, though I can't vouch for it personally.

But basically I don't think there's any machine below the Porter Cable which is any good yet which is safer than a rotary.

So my suggestion is, save up till you can get a PC kit for about $160-$200.

Hey, you drive a Lex. Treat it nice.

Here are some pics to show you what can be done with older paint. The first is a comparison. The right side was washed and then cleaned and polished by hand using a paint cleaner and polish. The left side is halfway through the process of being machine polished with a PC in multiple steps using stronger polishes.

The second picture shows the end product after washing, polishing, and then waxing. Even then, there are defects that don't show up in pics that I plan to take care of when the weather warms up.

post-13550-1103405832_thumb.jpgpost-13550-1103405851_thumb.jpg

I hope this is helpful to somebody.

All of us aren't into restoring a paint job. Those little waxmaster type orbital buffers are just fine for waxing, and with enough bonnets you can apply, remove, and buff wax on a car in short order. They work just fine for what most people need one for.

I agree, there's really not any advantage when using one of those things to working by hand. Also I'd be concerned about the quality of the bonnets, low grade bonnets with polyester included in the weave can swirl up your paint REAL quick.

I have one of the cheap buffers that a freind gave me. I am not at all impressed. It doesn't have the power you need and sometimes the bonnent comes loose. I used it a couple of times and went back to hand waxing which with the right prep and wax isn't bad.