How Do I Replace One Of My Battery Cables?

:D

Is it a hard job to do?  I heard it was rather easy.  Your opinions/suggestions/how to's?  I have a 1996 GS 300.

wHICH ONE are you replacing? If it's from corrosion you may not need to replace the whole thing, just strip it back past the corrosion. The ground is the easiest to replace. Go with a larger gauge like 4 or 2 gauge if you do replace it. :D

:D
Is it a hard job to do?  I heard it was rather easy.  Your opinions/suggestions/how to's?  I have a 1996 GS 300.

wHICH ONE are you replacing? If it's from corrosion you may not need to replace the whole thing, just strip it back past the corrosion. The ground is the easiest to replace. Go with a larger gauge like 4 or 2 gauge if you do replace it. :D

First, Thanks, for your quick response Turbo! I think it is the negative that I am replacing (the wire on the right if you are standing in front of the car, if everybody's else car is like that). It is the wire that doesn't have the extra stuff on it. Well, I kept having a lot of corrosion build up on the clamp causing my car not to start at times. So, I changed out the clamp and the corrosion still builds up! So, I am assuming it is the battery cable that has corrosion in it. So, why the larger gauge? Which is the better of the two? Thanks!

You can get premade 4 or 2 gauge ground cables at checker's or most auto parts stores or you can got to a stereo shop or you can make your own. If corrosion is constantly building up you may have a leak around one of the battery terminals. So you may have to get a new battery. Get an OPTIMA RED TOP if you don't have any stereo equipment or acc. A BLUE TOP if you do have stereo equipment. I would still replace the ground with the larger gauge as it will help the car to work better by carrying more current. Also it will give a better ground. <_<

You can get premade 4 or 2 gauge ground cables at checker's or most auto parts stores or you can got to a stereo shop or you can make your own. If corrosion is constantly building up you may have a leak around one of the battery terminals. So you may have to get a new battery. Get an OPTIMA RED TOP if you don't have any stereo equipment or acc. A BLUE TOP if you do have stereo equipment.  I would still replace the ground with the larger gauge as it will help the car to work better by carrying more current. Also it will give a better ground. <_<

I just purchased a new battery about 3 weeks ago and the corrosion is still coming back! How can I see the corrosion on the cable?

$100!!!!! I was told this is an easy thing to do! Can anyone tell me how to do it?

You'll have to remove the battery, follow the ground cable down to where it is bolted to the frame. You'll have to cut the cable neatly there. Run the new cable down to the frame and bolt it with the other cable there. Reinstall battery, with new ground. :P

Turbo,

Why do I have to bolt it with the other cable there? I can't just take it off?

What do you think about Bartkat's response to clean the wire end and terminals and spraying that stuff on there?

You have to bolt it to the other cable as the cable continues further along under the engine. You're just cutting off the bad part from the frame up, where it's bolted. I think the spray is fine as long as there is NO CORROSION in the wire. If the wire in question is full of white powdery corrosion it's time to replace. You could use the spray on the new cable to prevent corrosion on it. <_<

You have to bolt it to the other cable as the cable continues further along under the engine. You're just cutting off the bad part from the frame up, where it's bolted.  I think the spray is fine as long as there is NO CORROSION in the wire. If the wire in question is full of white powdery corrosion it's time to replace. You could use the spray on the new cable to prevent corrosion on it. <_<

Thanks, a lot! So, it is pretty easy?

You have to bolt it to the other cable as the cable continues further along under the engine. You're just cutting off the bad part from the frame up, where it's bolted.  I think the spray is fine as long as there is NO CORROSION in the wire. If the wire in question is full of white powdery corrosion it's time to replace. You could use the spray on the new cable to prevent corrosion on it. <_<

Yep, just make sure to get the right length and to cut the wire right after where it bolts to the frame. So, you'll be removing the old cable with nothing on one end and the battery terminal on the other. :)

Yep, just make sure to get the right length and to cut the wire right after where it bolts to the frame. So, you'll be removing the old cable with nothing on one end and the battery terminal on the other. :)

Thanks Turbo and Moreno. OK. So, I am going to follow the wire to where it bolts to the engine. I will then cut off the wire at the bolt. I should be able to loosen the bolt and attach my new wire??? Then, attach new wire to battery (with clamp on, of course). ???? Does the wire come with a clamp already attached? Seems easy, if my steps are correct. :D

You got it, the new cable will come however you buy it. So make sure you get one long enough, with a battery terminal on one end and a ring terminal or bolt lug on the other end. Make sure you cut the old cable after the terminal or bolt lug, on the side going to the battery. You have to be able to bolt up the part of the old cable running to the engine with the new cable running to the battery. B)

You got it, the new cable will come however you buy it. So make sure you get one long enough, with a battery terminal on one end and a ring terminal or bolt lug on the other end. Make sure you cut the old cable after the terminal or bolt lug, on the side going to the battery. You have to be able to bolt up the part of the old cable running to the engine with the new cable running to the battery. B)

Thanks, Turbo! :D