1992 Es300

Anovice

Well, thanks to all you folks, I feel the car is back in shape. I was finally able to get the PCV valve out, the new one in, the power steeing, break and transmission fluids were change, the plugs, oil and I guess a few other things. The car has 116,000 miles on it and I do not recall the timing belt ever being changed, at least not after 62,000 miles when I got the car. These are my general questions:

1. If I do not change it and it breaks, other than being stopped in my place, can it cause damage to the car?

2. If you guys strongly recommend I do get it changed, should the water pump or any other parts be replaced at the same time?

3. If I am to get the timing belt changed and other parts, I would like to purchase them at Park Place Lexus and my local mechanic will install them. When I purchased the PCV valve from them I did not know to ask for the rubber gasket, so I ran into a problem and finally had to go to the local Toyota dealer. I would want to avoid this in the future. Do I simply order a timing belt or do I need other parts for the mechanic to change it? If you guys recommend changing the water pump, again, do I just order a water pump or do I need other parts. Etc, etc.

4. Approximately how much should I pay in labor (or Labour) to get the timing belt changed as well as the water pump if recommended and any other things, if recommended by you folks.

I would rather not change the timing belt now, but if it will cause other damage in the engine if and when it breaks, I gather I would rather get it changed now. Again, thanks so much for all the help and advice.

If it hasen't been changed yet, I would seriously consider having it done as I beleive it can cause damage if it breaks. If not at the mileage interval (assuming it's the original) then on time (it's going on 13 years old). While having that done, I would do the water pump as well since the engine is apart anyways & it's easy to get to then (why take it apart twice?) I haven't had it done yet myself (only about 53,000 miles on my ES), but I think a 'reasonable' price would be somewhere in the $500 - $700 range for parts & labour (members, correct me if I'm way off here) depending on the shop you take it too. B)

:cheers:

1. If I do not change it and it breaks, other than being stopped in my place, can it cause damage to the car?

depends on the year of your ES.

92-98, then no it won't cause major damage to the internals of the car. I did hear a mechanic say, though, that he never saw a timing belt break and not see some sort of damage to the engine on a Japanese car. (I can't speak to the extent of that).

99 and up, then yes damage will occur.

2. If you guys strongly recommend I do get it changed, should the water pump or any other parts be replaced at the same time?

yes, do it while they are in there. Kill two birds with one large sum of money so to speak. You might want to think about replacing belt tensioners and accessory belts, too.

3. If I am to get the timing belt changed and other parts, I would like to purchase them at Park Place Lexus and my local mechanic will install them. When I purchased the PCV valve from them I did not know to ask for the rubber gasket, so I ran into a problem and finally had to go to the local Toyota dealer. I would want to avoid this in the future. Do I simply order a timing belt or do I need other parts for the mechanic to change it? If you guys recommend changing the water pump, again, do I just order a water pump or do I need other parts. Etc, etc.

speak to ParkPlace Lexus directly or via email. Many places have packaged kits, meaning all the parts the mechanic needs come all bundled up in one box.

4. Approximately how much should I pay in labor (or Labour) to get the timing belt changed as well as the water pump if recommended and any other things, if recommended by you folks.

call around to several Lexus and Toyota dealerships and see what they get for just replacing the TB and WP. This will put you in the ballpark of what to expect.

steviej