Durability And Quality Of Lexus Black Paint

gansta

Regardless of manufacturer, black is the worst color to choose for your vehicle if you plan to keep it for many years. Dark paint is more susceptible to sun damage, shows fade tendencies fastest, and is the toughest to maintain. On the contrary, white is the best color to opt for if you want to spend a minimum of time maintaining your exterior. Light paint reflects more sunlight, hides fade tendencies longest, and is the easiest to maintain. And regardless of color, non-metallic paint is easier to match and care for than metallic paint.

I'll agree that nothing looks better than a beautiful lustrous black exterior, but I owned a black vehicle for six years and I'll never have another one. That finish required more work than our other four vehicles combined at that time (one red, one white/grey, and two solid white). No thanks - life's too short to spend that kind of time caring for and protecting a black finish....

If you put the time into a dark color and keep it sealed and detailed properly then it will last just as long as a light color. I've got the black garnet now and its gorgeous but I will be honest with you, it will be my last dark color. Its beautiful but its so much work and it scratches SO easily. The worry over brushing up against it or bumping the top of the rear bumper when loading is annoying and you don't get that with a white, silver, light green etc car.

Another thing to keep in mind is Lexus black has no clearcoat which means it will need to be detailed more frequently and it is VERY soft, probably the softest paint in the industry. I've detailed many Lexus' in black and while they clean up really well also because the paint is soft, they need cleaning up a lot more.

My advice? Go for the black if you have a good detailer you trust to wash it every week and to wax it every other month or so. If not, skip it. Lexus has a lot of really nice lighter colors that are much easier to take care of.

Black looks very nice if it stays in the showroom, Its a very high maintence color to keep up! If you let it go, it will look like CRAP quick. I look at clean black cars on the road all the time and all I see is Swirls upon swirls--YUK

I would never-ever own a black car period! But thats me.....

But if you know how to wash it you wont have any swirls, mine doesn't have any swirls. On a clearcoated black car you aren't getting any more swirls than you'd get on say your silver RX, its just on the silver you can't see them.

But if you know how to wash it you wont have any swirls, mine doesn't have any swirls. On a clearcoated black car you aren't getting any more swirls than you'd get on say your silver RX, its just on the silver you can't see them.

You are correct there!! Black shows everything and my silver looks clean when it isnt!....

Im one of those people that would keep a black car nice or any car, I like mine shining every second :D But I know a black one would keep me extra busy :cheers:

My ES is black, and I will have to agree with the above posts, it is very challenging to keep looking nice. The schedule is as follows:

Cleaned every week-no matter the weather

Waxed/Buffed every other month

I have these services done professionally. But whether you are a DIY or have it professionally done, just know you will spend more keeping it clean then any other color. Nothing is worse then a dirty black car!!!

Good luck, but I would recommend a different color if you are not committed to the upkeep.

When we were looking ar 330's, they had a nice black one on the showroom and the wife kept going to that one every time we visited the dealer! I kept saying NO way Im getting black!

She loves clean cars and knows I do to, so I keep them polished at all times. I told here that if she got the black one, I was NOT going to keep it clean and shiney---I meant it too :unsure:

So we settled for the Mil. Silver and all is well

When we bought my fiance's Prius she wanted black, her car sits outside behind my car that sits in the garage and I told her no way, the black would be WAY too hard to keep up with it sitting outside.

When we bought my fiance's Prius she wanted black, her car sits outside behind my car that sits in the garage and I told her no way, the black would be WAY too hard to keep up with it sitting outside.

Why does her car sit outside and not yours :chairshot:

Do you really keep your cars washed and polished religiously??

I would say if you dont take top notch care of your car on the outside and when its dirty all you do is run it thru the express car wash, then black is not for you.

Because my cars the dark color and its a hell of a lot more expensive ;)

Because my cars the dark color and its a hell of a lot more expensive ;)

LOL, you are right on that :cheers:

I'm with you ... I'm in between on getting the black or silver. I am REALLY leaning towards black b/c I think I'd like the car that much more ... it's a younger color for the RX and there are so many silver ones out there. Plus the chrome rims would look nicer on it. I realize it would take more upkeep, but oh well. Most people can't see the little streaks and chips from the distance anyhow and I'm buying it for me ... not to show it off to a bunch of people.

I have a Graphite Grey Pearl Rx, it's the first vehicle i've owned that is close to black. I've always had white, silver, cars and one red car...which was also a headache and a half to take care of. However this pearl is insanely high maintenance i find....drive through the smallest dirt road and i find myself staring at a dirty RX when i reach my driveway, dirt shows up instantly if i take it anywhere that isn't clean/dry asphalt. Lets see how it holds up this winter

As of yet it has been in the garage for all the cold wintery weather including days when we had flurries and whatnot. And believe it or not i detailed the SUV myself weeks ago when i last took it out and now the rear/side of the RX is dirty from just opening up the garage door allowing some flurries to come in :angry:

but all in all, nothing beats the shine of the paint when it's spotless! :cheers:

I just *stupidly* let a detail shop wash my car. I figured its getting cold and its hard for me to do it at home when its cold. They came highly reccomended and they've removed some dings for me in the past and did a great job. Huge mistake, car is swirled all to hell. Now I get to spend tomorrow polishing and waxing it again to get rid of the swirls in the 40 degree temps.

Never again will anyone but me wash my car.

I just *stupidly* let a detail shop wash my car. I figured its getting cold and its hard for me to do it at home when its cold. They came highly reccomended and they've removed some dings for me in the past and did a great job. Huge mistake, car is swirled all to hell. Now I get to spend tomorrow polishing and waxing it again to get rid of the swirls in the 40 degree temps.

That sucks man, cause I know you keep your stuff CLEAN! I will not and have never let anybody clean my cars----Now you have some hard work in store :censored:

DOH!!!! :chairshot:

Now you have an excuse for not putting up the christmas lights this weekend!!!

:lol: