Random Clutch Question

The clutch on my SC300 has felt stiff ever since I bought my car. Its hard to desribe but it was almost like you could feel the clutch hesistate when being pushed in, kinda felt the slightest bit bumpy or rough. I dont know if it was a bad thing, or just the way it was supposed to be. I was driving to work today and I went to change gears and the clutch was noticeably less stiff and much more smooth than when I had changed gears 10 second earlier. It stayed like that for the rest of the drive. At first I was worried that maybe it was about to go on me, but it performed perfectly for the rest of the drive and it felt much better. What could have caused this sudden change? Is there a chance it means Im about to have to get a new clutch?

Facing your car with the hood up, look to the right of the brake fluid reservoir. Your clutch master cylinder reservoir is right there up at the fire wall next to the brake master cylinder.

Alright, cool. Ill check that during my lunch break. Im pretty sure the clutch is starting to fail now. Its not slipping while in gear yet, but it seems to be getting a little bit more difficult to get in and out of gear.

Yes....Im actually replying to my own post again. I just got on ebay to see what options I will have if it is the clutch that needs replacing and not something to do with the hydraulics. I found a Clutchmaster kit 'buy it now' for $127. Seems like a ton of people use these kits, do any of you have any experience with, or know something about them? I mean we are talking about a difference of $500 here so I wouldnt be expecting to get a Lexus quality clutch that would last another 140k. Since im planning on doing the GTE swap and 6-speed supra trans within the next couple years this isnt a huge deal. On the other hand I dont want to buy a piece of garbage.

I was going to ask at supraforums.com since I imagine they are the ones that are burning up their clutches and buying cheap replacements all the time, but Im still waiting for them to activate my account that I registered for 3 weeks ago.........

Sorry man, this one got past me. I had a clutchmasters clutch in the last car and it chattered and squealed like a pig. It didn't do it very often, but when it did it was kind of embarassing. It could have been a shotty install job but I've heard similar complaints in the past. ACT clutches suck too. I had one in a honda a while back it squealed like a stuck pig. Anyways, performance clutches are hard to find that are really good. I wish I knew the brand of the clutch in my car now. That think is like 60 pounds to push down. But you forget about that real quick. The most solid clutch I've ever driven on. Centerforce makes a set-up that some guys like. Let me check up on it.

You have two options. 288$ is really not a bad price. 1. So you could make sure they do a good job on the install and be very careful with the break in on the clutch and maybe you won't have any problems. The two cars I had before with aftermarket clutches were installed before I got the car, so there could be other factors involved, like who installed it or how they were broke in.

Or 2. try to return the act clutch and find another brand - I've heard good things about centerforce brand clutches but I have no first hand experience.

If you need a new clutch, then the act piece might be alright. That is the trouble with this hobby. It costs money to learn and sometimes we have to do it twice.