After Cat O2 Sensor Removal And Code Clearing?

Tracilex

The wife and I just picked up a 99' RX last weekend and we managed to have a double whammy in one day. She got hit in the parking lot (thankfully she got the other drivers info) and a half hour later the check engine light came on. :censored:

The code is P0136, the O2 after the cat.

- 1st of all, why the hell does the sensor cost over $400 aftermarket from local parts stores?!?!?! Oxygen sensors.com has one for $100. I hope they are correct.

- 2nd I thought this would be a simple fix. WRONG. It appears as though the nuts holding the retaining plate in have rotted off or someone has screwed with it before and welded in another sensor. It looks as if they have welded around the protruding studs to hold the plate in. Does anyone know how to remove this sensor?? It has no visible hex to put a wrench on.

- Lastly, I'm wondering that if I run an engine cleaner through the PCV intake system like Seafoam that it might clean the sensor w/o removing it. Would the check engine light simply go off? Is the only way to kill a code is to disconnect the battery? I pulled the EFI fuse and the light was still on.

Thanks in advanced!

:cheers:

Lastly, I'm wondering that if I run an engine cleaner through the PCV intake system like Seafoam that it might clean the sensor w/o removing it. Would the check engine light simply go off? Is the only way to kill a code is to disconnect the battery? I pulled the EFI fuse and the light was still on.

If the fault is removed then after the third time the engine is started the light will go out - the fault code will still be sorted within the ECU.

Removing the EFI fuse for 30 seconds should clear the fault codes - therefore if the light remains on so does the fault. However a P0136 should only come on after the vehicle has been driven over 31mph so if you cleared the fault correctly the light should have been out until you started driving.

Maybe there is more than 1 fault code?

ColinBarber,

Thanks for the quality info!

I don't think there is another code. The guy at Autozone said there were 2 total, both the same. One in short and one in long term memory.

I'll pull the fuse and leave it out for a few minutes and see if it goes away.