Installing Torque Converter

Hi,

I'm new here, just picked up a used 2000 GS400, black with tan interior and i LOVE it!

I'm thinking of improving it's performances a bit and was wondering what kinds of performance increase to expect from that Dragon torque converter. Also thinking about the SRT intake as well.

What are your opinions?

Here's a pic of the car btw

gs1.jpg

Hi not that I know alot, but what does a tc and valve body kit have to do with fast.

From what I know, a tc has to do with the amount of stall it will produce off the line the more stall the more it slips your converter has around 1600 stall the more stall the more it takes in terms of rpm to make it go from the line. race cars have about 3500 to 4800 stall, tach has to be at that number before it goes or it slips

As far as valve body that is the brain of the trans, a trans has no power just what the engine gives it. you can tighten up the shifts and make them firmer but as far as fast, work on your engine that is where your power is.

Higher stall + valve body = faster off the line + more solid shifts = better ET (faster from point a to point b.)

If you build up your engine and leave the trans stock, you're not going to get the full potential of your car. Seems pretty simple.

Hi not that I know alot, but what does a tc and valve body kit have to do with fast.

From what I know, a tc has to do with the amount of stall it will produce off the line the more stall the more it slips your converter has around 1600 stall the more stall the more it takes in terms of rpm to make it go from the line. race cars have about 3500 to 4800 stall, tach has to be at that number before it goes or it slips

Well, you have the basic idea with the TC. The stall speed is a magic number that is different for each car. The goal is to get the car to go at the optimal RPM, in its optimal power band. With the OEM TC, the stall is lower so you are not using the full torque capabilities of the car.

The TC does not make the car faster in an absolute sense. The torque rating is what it is and will still be the same after the high stall TC. With the high stall TC, you are just taking full advantage of that torque number. You will feel it. :D

Thanks for all your input, will this screw with stuff like the VSC anti skid system, or the snow setting (lotsa snow here) or top speed or anything like that?

What happened to the front passenger corner ??? LOL , Don't forget to set up the tranny with the proper coolant system to deal with the added heat if you upgrade to a high stall TC and tranny valve job... GO WITH THE ENGINE UPGRADES FIRST .....

Don't forget to set up the tranny with the proper coolant system to deal with the added heat if you upgrade to a high stall TC and tranny valve job

I agree. Definitely add a tranny cooler if you are installing a high stall TC.

Yes the cabin noise is higher.I wouldnt say much higher though.It is a good sound and I havent run across anyone who hasnt liked it including some prudes.As for the warranty I wouldnt think so but yopu know how they can be with warranties.Maybe someone else can help with the warranty part.

My dealership is an L-Tuned authorized dealer, so if they install it (I noticed it's on the l-tuned website) it could prevent it. I guess i should ask them.

Install what? The TC? The TC is not an L-Tuned part. It is up to them to warrant it. You will need to ask them if they will even install it. Some dealerships do not like aftermarket stuff. Maybe you are lucky and this one is OK.

BTW - How did you even get to the L-Tuned website. It has been dead for awhile now since L-Tuned is discontinued.

My dealership is an L-Tuned authorized dealer, so if they install it (I noticed it's on the l-tuned website) it could prevent it. I guess i should ask them.

Install what? The TC? The TC is not an L-Tuned part. It is up to them to warrant it. You will need to ask them if they will even install it. Some dealerships do not like aftermarket stuff. Maybe you are lucky and this one is OK.

BTW - How did you even get to the L-Tuned website. It has been dead for awhile now since L-Tuned is discontinued.

just searched for l-tuned on google, guess it's not the real site then, they're selling the SRT intake and the Dragon TC

http://l-tunedparts.com/

hmmm

The srt intake is not l-tuned so of course it wont be covered but as far as voiding your tranny warranty it shouldnt but some dealers can be picky.You shouldnt be concerned about the having probs with the piggy back ecu either.the guys at SRT know what theyre doing. All it does is recalibrate your mass air to tell the car how much air is actually coming in.And it is set up so if there is a prob. it will kick on your service engine light. I think most of the people w.probs. are due to installation.I did mine the right way w/solder and shrink tubing and its been on for 2yrs. and about 40k and I havent had a single prob. of any kind.I should also say Ive loved every mile of it. P.S.If your tranny is good now and you take care of it you should never need the warranty.Good Luck

just searched for l-tuned on google, guess it's not the real site then, they're selling the SRT intake and the Dragon TC

http://l-tunedparts.com/

hmmm

That is the website for Carson Toyota's OEM and aftermarket sales. I have bought many things from them. No worries there.

Still, the L-Tuned products are now discontinued so whatever stock is out there, that's it.

What are your opinions?

I'm new here, but I modded up an American V-8 sedan (96 Impala SS). The best mod I every made on it (and I made many!) was a shift kit and looser TC. I see the favorite TC of all the Vette/Camaro/F-bird/Imapala hot rodders is available for the GS430. The PI Vigalante is able to take over 600 ft*lbs of torque, that should cover the Supra Turbo 6 cylinder folks.

- IMHO, my GS420 needs another ~1000 rpm stall speed. It takes too long to spool up the motor with the stock TC.

- Even with the sport mode shift enabled, it's too long a shift time.

- 0.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile seems a little high, I'd expect 0.2~0.3 seconds reduction, making the GS430 a 13 sec car...not too bad.

- What do these valve body kits do?

- I checked the TransGo site, they make the BEST kit for GM/Ford/Chrysler...nothing for the Lexus :cries:

- I doubt you'll need a trans cooler with a looser TC, esp with a kit that shortens shift time (valve body kit?). Unless you go with an outragous stall speed (>3000rpm) the heat build up isn't much for a 2500-2800 rPM stall speed converter.