1992 Es 300, 116,000 Miles

Anovice

Thanks so much for the help. I have a few remaining questions:

1. I will have a friend change the power stearing fluid. I see Dextron III transmission fluid. The book calls for II. I gather they are the same? How much will it take?

2. Is there any benefit or purpose in changing the break fluid? If so, is all Dot 3 the same and how much fluid will be required?

3. PCV valve - I went to rockauto.com and they seem to have Fram. I assume it will do and I do not need to spend more for original equipment?

4. Fuel filter - Also at rockauto.com they have fram. Is that fine? One confusing point is they seem to have two. One is part number G7766 (fuel in-line gas filter) for $14.90 and a second, G8164 Universal Fuel Filter (universal in-line gas filter) for $15.28.

Again, thanks.

Dexron II is no longer available it has been replaced with dexron III. I recently changes my tranz fluid and power steering fluid my self and it made a huge mess so make sure u put some plastic down before you do it or you will destroy your driveway.

Here is a link to the tranz service I did

http://mjmautosport.com/how%20to/change%20...es300/index.htm

as for changing the power steering fluid I took off the return hose and covered the opening with a vacuum cap. I put the return line into a pint of empty power steering fluid and toped off the reserve. Then had some one start the car. The fluid pumps thought quick so it is only for maybe 3 sacs and the reserve is empty. Fill it back up and empty the collection bottle. Repeat the process a few times and the fluid is changed. But again this makes a big mess.

As for the PCV valve they really do not have to be changed. Take it out spray some carb cleaner inside. Shake it around to and blow out with air. Repeat till all the sludge is out. As long as the little ball rattles around inside it is still good.

As for the PCV valve they really do not have to be changed.  Take it out spray some carb cleaner inside.  Shake it around to and blow out with air.  Repeat till all the sludge is out.  As long as the little ball rattles around inside it is still good.

NO NO NO NO. my God man, its a $6 part, just change the thing. your local mechanic will charge you $6 and $15 for labor if you dont want to do it yourself. if you clean it, it will not work as long, you will be pulling it apart in 10,000 miles to clean it again...if you change it, you are good to go for at least 40K.

my motor had 138,000 miles on the factory PCV valve. when i changed it, it broke in half. when PCV valves clog up, the excess pressure built up inside the crankcase has nowhere to go except out the seals...AKA OIL LEAKS. the PCV valve stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Basically it takes excess pressure fromt he crankcase and puts it back into the intake system, where the air/oil combination is then re-combusted...DO NOT let your PCV valve clog, my engine now has over $2,000 worth of oil leaks because some insolent boob thought he never needed to change his either.

my money is really really tight rigth now, and even I would pay the $6 for the PCV valve... just replace it and be doen worrying for another 40-50,000 miles. :blink:

also, you have to realize, if it is the factory PCV valve in your engine, its probably to far gone after 100K plus to just clean....

as for which brand, any EXCEPT fram will do. i wouldnt trust a fram as far as i could throwit, or in this case, drop it.

ArmyofOne is right, why would you want to reuse an old part? It would be like using compressed air to blow the dirt out of your filthy air filter to reuse it.

If you want to go with OEM parts....Park Place Lexus has a Toyota PCV valve for $7.48, and a Toyota fuel filter for $27.42. No tax and shipping if you order online.

my point was that if the ball rattles around it is still good and it does not have to be replaced. it should be check everytime you change your oil. but there is no way it has to be replace that offten. every 80000 miles is about when i would change it.

and blowing compressed air throught it was just to clean the carb cleaner out.

my point was that if the ball rattles around it is still good and it does not have to be replaced.  it should be check everytime you change your oil.  but there is no way it has to be replace that offten.  every 80000 miles is about when i would change it.

and blowing compressed air throught it was just to clean the carb cleaner out.

yes the factory one does last that long, but i wouldnt try to make an aftermarket one last that long, even an OEM replacement from lexus/toyota. the one from the factory will alst 80K, but not much longer than that.

brake fluid should be changed every 2 years or so. it absorbs moisture and that moisture corrodes the lines. this leads to premature failure of the abs pump and calipers and master cylinder. so if it has not been changed in while change it. but be careful because brake fluid is very corrosive and will take the paint off of your car

Well, I am on a roll. Today, I ordered the PCV valve and fuel filter on line from Park Place Lexus. Also made an appointment with my friend, in exchange for dinner, to change the power steering and brake fluids.

How much Dot 3 and Dextron III do I need to pick up at the local Pep Boys to replace the brake fluid and power steering fluid?

You all have been great!

the brake lines can use 500 ml to 4 liters depending on how old and dirty the fluid is ,if it left large amounts of residueinside them then it takes a good couple hours to get it out by using clean fluid to flush it.

ps/tranny fluid is about a 2 liters

Where is the pcv located. Does anyone have a pic or diagram depicting the location?

on the es300, it is on the right hand side, sticking out of the rear valve cover, it will have a hose that runs fgrom it to the intake maifold (the throttle body actually) i believe.

Where is the pcv located. Does anyone have a pic or diagram depicting the location?

on the es300, it is on the right hand side, sticking out of the rear valve cover, it will have a hose that runs fgrom it to the intake maifold (the throttle body actually) i believe.

I found it thanks!!

I found it thanks!!

no problem. B)