Misc. Questions On My New Is 3 -

IS FanaTic

Hi everyone , thanks for taking the time to read this and for any input you guys can give me. I recently bought an '03 preowned Lexus IS 300 w. every option including GPS and chrome. I LOVE this car, definite upgrade from my Integra!

I just have a few minor questions to ask. First one is that I noticed my front tires have less air than the back two, must be from all the "break in" driving I did when I bought it. =) anyways, I realized I don't know the proper PSI the tires should be at. Is there a reccommended PSI? Secondly, I noticed the seat warmers only get so hot than seem to kind of level off. A buddy of mine has the Cadilliac CTS-V and his warmers are HOT! anyone else notice this? I also wanted to make a few mods to the car and wanted to know if there is any brand/type of intake worrks "best". With the intake I wanted to get a new computer chip for performance, any thoughts? My last concern is with normal upkeep, is it a must to go to the dealership or all oil,fluid etc etc.? or can I go to the good ol guys at goodyear?

Thanks again.

Hi everyone , thanks for taking the time to read this and for any input you guys can give me.  I recently bought an '03 preowned Lexus IS 300 w. every option including GPS and chrome.  I LOVE this car, definite upgrade from my Integra!

AWESOME!!!!!

I just have a few minor questions to ask.  First one is that I noticed my front tires have less air than the back two, must be from all the "break in" driving I did when I bought it. =)  anyways, I realized I don't know the proper PSI the tires should be at.  Is there a reccommended PSI? 

The tire pressure should be on the door jam sticker. It is most definately in the owners manual. If you don't have an owners manual, contact 1-800-25-LEXUS and request one. You can also go to www.lexus.com and register under OWNERS. Then you can request an owners manual and a supplemental owners manual for free. Personally I run my tires 1/9th below max for the tire. My 16s max at 36lbs so I run them at 32lbs. My 18s max at 45lbs so I run them at 40lbs. Don't ask me how I figured that formula, but it provides the best ride for me.

Secondly, I noticed the seat warmers only get so hot than seem to kind of level off.  A buddy of mine has the Cadilliac CTS-V and his warmers are HOT!  anyone else notice this?

That is why they are called seat warmers and not bun burners. My ES does the same. Do you want to be warm or uncomfortable? The hotter heater may burn out quicker, too.

I also wanted to make a few mods to the car and wanted to know if there is any brand/type of intake worrks "best".  With the intake I wanted to get a new computer chip for performance, any thoughts? 

There are some really good aftermarket upgrades and mods for the IS.

L-Sportline, TRD, L-tunedparts to name a few.

My last concern is with normal upkeep, is it a must to go to the dealership or all oil,fluid etc etc.?  or can I go to the good ol guys at goodyear? 

Personally I take my car to the dealer for anything I can't do myself and any warranty issues. Most of the 15k services can be done in your driveway if you are handy with a wrench. If not a good independent that is savy in Lexus is a perfectly acceptable alternative. You may find a Toyota dealership in your area that will handle Lexus too as a slightly cheaper rate. but when it come down to being pampered, there is nothing like the Lexus dealership itself.

Thanks again.

Not a problem......Welcome to the club!!! :cheers:

steviej

Hi everyone , thanks for taking the time to read this and for any input you guys can give me.  I recently bought an '03 preowned Lexus IS 300 w. every option including GPS and chrome.  I LOVE this car, definite upgrade from my Integra!

I just have a few minor questions to ask.  First one is that I noticed my front tires have less air than the back two, must be from all the "break in" driving I did when I bought it. =)  anyways, I realized I don't know the proper PSI the tires should be at.  Is there a reccommended PSI?  Secondly, I noticed the seat warmers only get so hot than seem to kind of level off.  A buddy of mine has the Cadilliac CTS-V and his warmers are HOT!  anyone else notice this? I also wanted to make a few mods to the car and wanted to know if there is any brand/type of intake worrks "best".  With the intake I wanted to get a new computer chip for performance, any thoughts?  My last concern is with normal upkeep, is it a must to go to the dealership or all oil,fluid etc etc.?  or can I go to the good ol guys at goodyear? 

Thanks again.

Recommended tire pressure is 34 PSI front and rear. I usually run 36, especially if I'm doing lots of highway driving. A drop in ambient temperature will cause your tire pressures to drop. That's something that happens this time of year.

The seat warmers cycle on and off and should maitain a nice comfy warmth. You really don't need them on after the whole car warms up.

Regular maintence like oil changes, etc. are ok done by someone other than Lexus. Just be sure to keep your receipts.

There is no "performance chip" for IS300's. All engine management is done by the ECU. If you do lots of mods, then consider a stand-alone module, such as Hal-Tech. Without serious mods, you really shouldn't need it though.

Alright guys thanks so far for the info, been pretty helpful so far.. it looks like I need to get the owners manual, I didn't even get one! anyways, I noticed I have traction control button. Should I drive with it on all the time or only in bad conditions? does it effect fuel economy anyhow?

In my post I mentioned whether or not to service at the Lexus dealer, I'm about 2k mi from my first oil change and wanted to know how much more expensive it is there. I just wouldn't feel right paying say $50 bucks for an oil change, when I can go to my regular guys and get charged $8 ya know? But when you mention good ol Lexus pampering I guess it does make a little sense, but they use the same oil everyone else does right?

Thanks again for answering my newb questions!

Should I drive with it on all the time or only in bad conditions?  does it effect fuel economy anyhow?

(I hope this isn't misleading like the last time this question was asked.)

Drive with TRAC enabled all the time---that means the TRAC light will be off. Only disable it if you are stuck in snow or mud. It will not effect your fuel economy as it is not an AWD system that requires more power.

It's all covered in the manual when you get one. :whistles:

In my post I mentioned whether or not to service at the Lexus dealer, I'm about 2k mi from my first oil change and wanted to know how much more expensive it is there.  I just wouldn't feel right paying say $50 bucks for an oil change, when I can go to my regular guys and get charged $8 ya know?  But when you mention good ol Lexus pampering I guess it does make a little sense, but they use the same oil everyone else does right?

The best thing to do is to call around several places and see what shops are getting in you area. Lexus will be close to $50. Schedule it on a Sat. morning and you can gorge at the buffet most Lexus dealers set up. Toyota will be closer to $30. It is about $20 if you do it yourself. They will all use an SAE grade oil that is recommended for your car. Pretty standard it will most likely we 5W-30. The filter is key, Lexus and Toyota will use stock--good stuff. Independents may use whatever they buy in bulk (FRAM, Penzoil, etc). I would stay away from the JiffyLube operations unless you know someone on the inside, but even then I tend not to go there.

steviej

Alright guys thanks so far for the info, been pretty helpful so far.. it looks like I need to get the owners manual, I didn't even get one!  anyways, I noticed I have traction control button.  Should I drive with it on all the time or only in bad conditions?  does it effect fuel economy anyhow?

In my post I mentioned whether or not to service at the Lexus dealer, I'm about 2k mi from my first oil change and wanted to know how much more expensive it is there.  I just wouldn't feel right paying say $50 bucks for an oil change, when I can go to my regular guys and get charged $8 ya know?  But when you mention good ol Lexus pampering I guess it does make a little sense, but they use the same oil everyone else does right?

Thanks again for answering my newb questions!

Please refer to my post #3, above.

Regular maintence like oil changes, etc. are ok done by someone other than Lexus. Just be sure to keep your receipts.

I've used Bill's Quick Lube for over 10 years and I always specify a Toyota filter which is only a couple bucks extra.

Wow, I think that about does it for my servicing questions. I guess to the Lexus dealer it is, thanks again guys for the help. Luckily for you all, I have a few more questions! Until I order the owners manual you guys are stuck w. me.!

Firstly, I wanted to know how I program the garage door opener button on my Lexus visor.

Secondly, is there something I can use to make my chrome really SHiNE! I know most of you will tell me to just get it detailed but I actually enjoy washing my own car, I always have. Gives me something to do on Sat morn before I go out for the night plus I get some quality time with CARLA. (her new name). =) I can manage to get it nice and clean with just water and a rag but I want to be able make it so shiny people go blind lookin at her!

FanaTic -

Wow, I think that about does it for my servicing questions.  I guess to the Lexus dealer it is, thanks again guys for the help.  Luckily for you all, I have a few more questions!  Until I order the owners manual you guys are stuck w. me.!

We are not stuck, that is what this forum is all about. People helping people.

Firstly, I wanted to know how I program the garage door opener button on my Lexus visor.

Use the search function (open the search to over a year) and search on "HomeLink". There have been several threads that outlined a procedure. You can also go to HomeLink's website and obtain/print detailed instructions from there specific for your type of garage opener (standard, rolling code, etc).

Secondly, is there something I can use to make my chrome really SHiNE!  I know most of you will tell me to just get it detailed but I actually enjoy washing my own car, I always have.  Gives me something to do on Sat morn before I go out for the night plus I get some quality time with CARLA.  (her new name).  =)  I can manage to get it nice and clean with just water and a rag but I want to be able make it so shiny people go blind lookin at her!

go to the Inside/Outside Detailing Forum on this site and download the nicely construction, very informative FREE e-book about complete detailing of your Lexus.

You could also search on Chrome, again open the search up to over a year.

steviej

In my post I mentioned whether or not to service at the Lexus dealer, I'm about 2k mi from my first oil change and wanted to know how much more expensive it is there. I just wouldn't feel right paying say $50 bucks for an oil change, when I can go to my regular guys and get charged $8 ya know? But when you mention good ol Lexus pampering I guess it does make a little sense, but they use the same oil everyone else does right?

I buy my own oil & oil filter (usually Mobil 1 5W 30 synthetic with either a Mobil 1 or K & N oil filter) & bring the car to my independent mechanic to do the oil change. I save quite a bit doing it that way, especially the Lexus dealer which is almost $80 (Canadian) plus taxes. I am considering changing my own oil & save even more $$$ :) Welcome to the club!

:cheers:

How would you guys rate the products he is using.  Acceptable?

Good stuff.

I too use Mobil1 5W-30 and a K&N Gold filter every 5000 miles.

(Lexusfreak is always copying me :P )

IS FanaTic, please don't reopen the relentless discussion of what type of oil is better. This topic has been agrued, debated and laid to rest for now. If it starts again, I will close down the thread. If you are interested in that topic just SEARCH on synthetic or conventional oil.

steviej

• 2 weeks later...
wow.  sorry. 

any reason you guys change oil every 5K vs 3K like i'm used to?

and does running the heater on vent affect fuel consumption?

ISF

no problem, that debation has been covered endless times.

oil change. I go 5k cause I am using synthetic. I would go 3k if I used dino. However, there is not definate change interval written in stone and it is totally up to each individual owner. There are many variations and suggestions. Again, search on this topic if you would like to review the heated arguements and civil discussions that have already taken place.

heater vent: it shouldn't

steviej