Struts? Bushings? Steering?

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

COULD struts need to be replaced even IF 'they' seem to pass the 'bounce-test'??

My '93 LS400 is going in for 'service' on Tuesday. I'd like to get it fixed - once and for all. Trouble is - I don't really know what the problem is. I keep thinking that it might need new struts. But when I do the old 'bounce test' it seems to be OK. So what could it be? One or more of the bushings? OR perhaps something with the steering?

When I've driven for awhile - the car seems to become a little more 'jiggly' and I start to lose confidence in it. The car isn't that easy to keep in it's lane. I'm always correcting it. [nothing overly dramatic - but annoying non-the-less] The car has had a 4-wheel wheel alignment. The tires are still very good AND the air pressure is often checked. I keep reading how good the LS is at maintaining a straight line - but mine isn't.

My LS has the original struts - but the car only has 68,000 miles or so.

Any ideas?!

Thanks,

Craig!! :)

struts are a good place to start. but if you think they are good........

another thing i would definately check with those symptons are the ball joints...they are probably really worn.

good luck

Craig, silver is absolutely right.....

worn ball joints usually mean you kinda "jerk" or correct the line of the car...it then slowly goes off line and you have to "jerk" it again...

Wandering is a true sign of worn ball joints

Tie rod ends are my guess. Start with the outer as they're pretty easy to change. Inners should be ok @ that mileage..

Bob

couold be a worn rack and pinion, about wat speed do ytou have issues with it. the outer tie rods are also an issue here, but as was previously said, easily replaceable.

which dierection does the car wander, if it wasners in both directions, then the problem is either in the tie rod ends, or the inner tie rod bushings (AKA Steering rack). Approx $1300 P&L on my ES.

if it only pulls one way, i would guess you have a decompressed front strut (assuming they are gas from factory). decomressed struts will often pass a bounce test, becuase the other side is taking the load. this is especially true if you have a Front Strut Tower Brace (FSTB). this is a bar that bolts on each tower and across the top of the motor, to reduce body roll and smooth out the ride.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Yesterday - I took 'Lenny' for a long drive!! lol [that's right - 'Lenny the Lexus'] The odd thing about 'Lenny' is that 'he' feels surprisingly secure and safe when driven rather hard on a narrow winding country road. [and I really pushed it yesterday] There are no odd noises and the car simply handles each tight curve like a pro. [and the road I was on has one tight curve after another] It's only when I'm driving on a straight highway or freeway [at speeds above 50 mph or so] does my car feels insecure. [and have the problems I described in my first message] I'm puzzled by this. [and have been - since the day I bought my car - just over a year ago] Part of me thinks that if there is a problem - shouldn't it be MORE obvious ON a winding country road than on the highway? [is that not true?]

I'm confused.

I'm also having a problem with acceleration. My car is quicker if I DON'T push the 'pedal to the metal' from a dead stop. Burying the gas pedal - as it were - causes the car to sort of bog down. And no matter what I do with the pedal - the car can't get to 60 mph any quicker than 12 seconds. [usually it take about 14 seconds] I find that annoying. I mean - isn't the LS supposed to be an 8 second to 60 mph car?! I never really noticed how slow my LS was until I raced a 4 cylinder automatic Chevy Malibu. [the previous style] The Chevy WON!! I was NOT very happy about that. I mean what's the point in having a multi-valved V8 if it can't beat a 4 cylinder Malibu from Budget Rent-a-car?! lol

Thanks again,

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Yesterday - I took 'Lenny' for a long drive!! lol [that's right - 'Lenny the Lexus'] The odd thing about 'Lenny' is that 'he' feels surprisingly secure and safe when driven rather hard on a narrow winding country road. [and I really pushed it yesterday] There are no odd noises and the car simply handles each tight curve like a pro. [and the road I was on has one tight curve after another] It's only when I'm driving on a straight highway or freeway [at speeds above 50 mph or so] does my car feels insecure. [and have the problems I described in my first message] I'm puzzled by this. [and have been - since the day I bought my car - just over a year ago] Part of me thinks that if there is a problem - shouldn't it be MORE obvious ON a winding country road than on the highway? [is that not true?]

I'm confused.

I'm also having a problem with acceleration. My car is quicker if I DON'T push the 'pedal to the metal' from a dead stop. Burying the gas pedal - as it were - causes the car to sort of bog down. And no matter what I do with the pedal - the car can't get to 60 mph any quicker than 12 seconds. [usually it take about 14 seconds] I find that annoying. I mean - isn't the LS supposed to be an 8 second to 60 mph car?! I never really noticed how slow my LS was until I raced a 4 cylinder automatic Chevy Malibu. [the previous style] The Chevy WON!! I was NOT very happy about that. I mean what's the point in having a multi-valved V8 if it can't beat a 4 cylinder Malibu from Budget Rent-a-car?! lol

Thanks again,

that discounts the worn steering rack , you will notice that on a winding road, you will turn the steering wheel halfway and the car wont turn for almost half a rotation. kind of dangerous. so thats not your problem. i would lean toward a decompressed strut myself, because the other struts can pick up the slack. i am assuming these are gas filled struts.

as for your acceleration issue, do a complete tune up and see if it gets better.

does your rpm go all the way to the red? if not try check if your gas pedal is on right. i had this happen many times and i thought the pedal kind of felt funny too. after checking the pedal i guess wore out a clip that keeps the pedal from falling off to the left.