Interior Odor

Has anybody ever had to deal with a persistent musty type odor in their interiors? I just bought a '04 ES330 that's in great shape but possesses an annoying odor that doesn't seem to be going away. Any suggestions?

Thank you, Bob in NE Penna.

Has anybody ever had to deal with a persistent musty type odor in their interiors?    I just bought a '04 ES330 that's in great shape but possesses an annoying odor that doesn't seem to be going away.  Any suggestions?

Thank you, Bob in NE Penna.

~One man’s opinion / observations~

Mildew / Mould:

Remove the seats and thoroughly clean the carpet with a carpet cleaner and a disinfectant. Then let it air dry, ensuring that it is completely dry. The carpet backing will absorb the most, spray the affected areas with a disinfectant (both the carpet backing and the carpet) clean the carpet using steam extractors upholstery attachments, and then re-install the seats.

Spread baking powder on the mats/carpets, this will help absorb the odours.

To eliminate the musty smell use an odour-neutralizing mineral made from porous volcanic rock (Zeolite®, Groit’s Garage) This type of product absorbs odours, eliminates stale musty air, and will reduce any noxious oil or gasoline fumes. It is non-toxic and when it stops working can be re-charged by warming in a microwave or in the sun.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If this isn't a new car, where did it come from. You might do a carfax check and make sure it was not a Texas flood car. There were many floods in South Texas this past summer and many of these cars made it North and tried to sell them off as local cars. Check were the car was originally registered.

Good Luck!

If this isn't a new car, where did it come from. You might do a carfax check and make sure it was not a Texas flood car. There were many floods in South Texas this past summer and many of these cars made it North and tried to sell them off as local cars. Check were the car was originally registered.

Good Luck!

I agree that a carfax is mandatory nowadays. But an '04 ES330 was probably insured, and if it was totalled by the insurance company because of flooding, then the poster has a salvage title and is aware of the car's past. I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Luck!

I agree that a carfax is mandatory nowadays. But an '04 ES330 was probably insured, and if it was totalled by the insurance company because of flooding, then the poster has a salvage title and is aware of the car's past. I hope.

I had the same problem in my 2003 ES, they changed all the filters and the problem persisted. Finally, they used an Ionizer machine. Things went from bad to worse, the machice essentially cooked the interior. I have melted and idsintegrated weather strips and there is the most horrible chemical odor I've ever experienced. the car is not drivabel!

Hi...

I have a 2002 ES300, and I also experienced the bad odor when the vents were on, especially when i turned on the A/C. But as a drove the smell got better. I brought the car to the dealer and the dealer replaced the air filtres in the car. There is also an air filtre somewhere in the dashboard....the mechanics replaced an air filter somewhere behind my dashboard. The mechanics would need to take off the glovebox door and work inside the glovebox on the passenger side. The dealer claimed they shampoo and cleaned my air vents.... As of today the odor never came back. I was pleased with it...The task of taking off the glovebox and having ot work inside the glovebox sounds difficult but it only took the mechanics about an hour to do the whole thing plus do a oil change for me. I would bring your ES330 back to a Lexus dealer and suggest them look at the air filter hidden behind the glovebox/dashboard area. Don't take it to a random garage, because most likely these mechanics won't know where that filter is hidden.

He says it's a 1mm spot, guys. That's less than .04". Just put some extend or other treatment to stop the rust, and then use the usual touch up paint.

turn you heater and AC on high and on cabin recirc. mode

open your hood and empty a can of Lysol 99% anti bacterial in the intake vents (just below the bottom of the windshield) then leave your car running with the system on high and on cabin recirc. for 10 minutes

the lysol will get in there and kill the bacteria and mold, and leave your car smelling fresh (or smelling like what ever fragrance you used)

now this method isn't a long term fix, but it does help alot. personally i do it probably once a month or once every 2 months, and it keeps my car smelling fresh.

oh sorry didn't read your full post, you got it fixed, oh well :wacko: