Strange Noise At Startup

jvcn

So everything was going great with my 95 LS400. But now at startup, there is often a weird, abrupt noise. It sounds like a belt or ratchet detensioning. Sort of like a seat belt was being retracted and failing.

It's very abrupt and sometimes comes before or after I release the parking brake. Sort of sounds as if I stepped on the brake too hard. It only happens at ignition.

The car had just been checked out last week and had gotten a clean bill of health, as well as passing safety inspection.

Oh, and the weather has suddenly turned colder. Any ideas? Brake lube? (It has fairly new pads all around).

Is it a buzzing sound? 91LS400 had something wrong with his steering wheel making some buzzing sound. Here's a link:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=15101

Perhaps it's the same thing. I know u said it sounds like some belt or ratchet detensioning, i'm not sure how it sound's like.

Well good luck. I hope this helps.

Tom

It's a sort of BZZTTTT! or BRAATT sound, sharp and abrupt from the rear of the car. I thought perhaps the parking brake or else a seat belt tensioner. Now I'm wondering if it is possibly something to do with radio antenna mechanism. Sometimes there's no noise, like this morning.

yea... i'm pretty sure it's the radio antenna. Does it still move up and down in full motion? Turn your radio on and off to c if you can still hear the noise after the sound goes off. But since it is coming from the back... most likely it is the radio.

If the motor is still moving but the antenna is kinda stuck, then you might want to spray some lube on it. N slightly push it down to c if it can go down completely. Don't force hard like my g/f did :chairshot: . Slightly push it down. N u might wnat to do this step a couple of time just so you can get the lube on it. :huh: Like shutting it down and having the antenna go down... then start the radio again to have the antenna go up... spray some lube n shut off radio... n blah blah blah. Hahahha <_< .

Well if there is no noise... then i hope ur motor didn't burn or die out :pirate: . From wut i heard... they can b pretty expensive. My motor died on me like 5 or 6 yrs ago. I didn't bother replacing it b/c i can still get reception. But of course the further out from the city i go, the less reception i get compared to when it was fully operational. :censored: But i would have to drive like 30-40 miles away from the city for that matter.

Good luck B)

yea... i'm pretty sure it's the radio antenna. Does it still move up and down in full motion?

Yes. The antenna still goes up and down. And it could explain why weather (rain and cold) has an effect. The suggestion for lube is a good one.

Well good luck on it. Let us know how it works out. Just to double check, the noise is coming from the RIGHT SIDE REAR right? Which is the direction of the antenna. I just hope the motor doesn't crap out soon.

VMF... yea those &#33;Removed&#33; :censored: in NYC are a pain in the !Removed!. Sometimes i'm paranoid when i'm @ home. One time those :censored: went on a rampage on my neighborhood. Every car that was parked on the streets got their left mirror's smashed. Well it was like every other car. N my car happened to fell victim. Most people don't pull their side mirror's in. So about every other car for about a mile was broken. It happened for about 2 or 3 months. THey went in intervals. Once in a while. Different parts of the neighborhood. But those :censored: broke my mirror... n @ the same time they ripped part of my rear left fender trim off n created several LONG scratches along my left DOORS (not one but two) it was as if they took a car n literally banged in n scrapped the WHOLE length of the car. Since then... i replaced the mirror but it's different color from the rest of my car.:cries: My car is tan or brown (as other people put it... dog !Removed! color) and my mirror is white. **SIGH** So when i'm down in the city n u c my car... u know it's me. Just give me a call. :lol:

I'm sure you guys can feel my pain... @ that time, i felt like i wanted to kill someone. If u want... i can show u the pic. So sad.

I decided to order the replacement radio mast that is sold on Ebay. I've seen from other posts here and on the Web that this guy comes highly recommended. I got in touch with them and they thought it was almost certainly the plastic ratchet that's deteriorated not the motor. I tested the antenna several times today and it was clearly the source of the noise.

So, crossing my fingers, I ordered the $19 part and we'll see if I am not too much of a klutz to install the "simple" fix myself.

Thanks for helping nail this problem guys. One trip to the mechanic saved!

not only the trip to the mechanic was saved... but the MONEY was saved. What is the guy's name? Well for me, i guess i need to change the whole motor and not the mast. I guess i can buy a new mast for my Girlfriend's ES.

Thanks. Let me know how it goes with the new mast

A quick followup:

Just did the fix. Easy and perfect. No more buzzing. The cable was stripped and broken. Now the radio is good to go and there's no more grinding sound.

Best to do this with two people -- one to pull out the old antenna and one to turn the radio on and off as necessary. The only complication was the difficulty of unscrewing and then tightening the outside nut. Needle nose pliers worked but were cumbersome. I can see why pros would have a specialized tool for this.

Still, for a grand total of $25 all costs included, this was a heckuva good deal. I recommend it to anyone whose Lexus antenna is having problems. You'll save off the usual dealer charge of $100-$125.