1995 With 102,000

LWR42

I have the opportunity to buy a 1995 SC400 with 102,000 miles. I've never purchased a car with so many miles, so I'm nervous about it. The car appears to be near perfect, but of course I would get it thoroughly checked out. How durable is a well maintained 1995 SC400? Should I expect a lot of problems even if it has been well maintained given the high mileage? Are there particular problem areas on the 1995 SC400? This one is dark green, chrome wheels, in-dash CD changer, very pretty. I would buy it from a private individual, and I'm considering an offer somewhere around $10,000 assuming it checks out well mechanically. Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

As far as dependability and durability, an sc400 that has been well maintained will easily reach 200,000 with no major problems. I'd probably offer a slightly lower price for starts, but 10,000 is a good deal too if its in that good of condition. I got my 96 with 107,000mi for a little under 9k and its doing great.

If mechanical reliability and durability is your priority then you need to find a car with little mechanical wear and tear. Some high mileage used Lexus's have little wear and tear, but only the ones where:

1. The owner invested considerable $$$ in all the required preventive maintenance listed in the owners manual.

2. Drove the car gently instead of hard and aggressively.

Since the SC300/400 is marketed more to younger enthusiast type drivers than older professional people, you will probably have a harder time finding one that has extensive service records and was driven gently than if you were shopping for a LS400 or ES300.

Price seems high, think you could do better.

I paid $14.2 for a 95 SC400, great condition, with only 46k miles. That was just a few months ago. It is in immaculate condition. They just put new tires on it, and the dealer took care of the valve cover gaskets, new PS pump, and a brake job. All that for the price listed above.

I think you can do better on price, given what I paid for and what I got. I would personally only pay $7-8k for the car.

Just my opinion.