Drivers Door Handle Broken!

91ls400

I went to open my driver side door tonight and the handle seemed to pull too far. I broke what seems like half of it. Now when i open the door (still can) it is very difficult to pull the handle and it scrapes steel on steel. then when i let go of it, it doesnt sit flush with the door anymore! HELP, if i cant open my drivers door the car is junk! What can i do, i dont want to risk breaking it anymore!

I've had nothing but problems this year, im ready to just toss it, if this stupid handle cant be fixed easily and cheaply, then im afraid the car is going to have to go.

I went to open my driver side door tonight and the handle seemed to pull too far.  I broke what seems like half of it.  Now when i open the door (still can)  it is very difficult to pull the handle and it scrapes steel on steel. then when i let go of it, it doesnt sit flush with the door anymore!  HELP, if i cant open my drivers door the car is junk!  What can i do, i dont want to risk breaking it anymore!

I've had nothing but problems this year, im ready to just toss it, if this stupid handle cant be fixed easily and cheaply, then im afraid the car is going to have to go.

Why do some cars just fall apart, while others don't? I have a car almost identical to yours, mileage and all, but mine is in great shape, its only problem being the broken temp LCD. Even the little, seemingly maitenance free things such as door lock mechanisms and the like operate without any trouble...

Do not speak too soon (knock on wood), because that is what happened to me.

After I bought my car- minor, but very annoying problems cropped up. I had boasted about how pleased I was to have a car with such high mileage to be in such good order. Then one by one, things started going haywire. Front suspension, radio, A/C, speedometer needle illumination, LCD display, rattles, starter quirks (at times). Luckily, I still had a good working fuel guage, perfect door handles, and NO leaks at all- even the power steering was leak free. Its just that cars are treated so differently which is one reason why some may have some problems, then there is the day it was assembled? I have often heard some people joke that their cars were manufactured on a Friday late afternoon/evening (sloppily). :D

I know how you feel 91LS400. That is what I was finally forced to do. SELL. I miss the power of my LS, but that is about it.

If you just have door problems, I would not give up yet however.

Good luck!

Why do some cars just fall apart, while others don't? I have a car almost identical to yours, mileage and all, but mine is in great shape, its only problem being the broken temp LCD. Even the little, seemingly maitenance free things such as door lock mechanisms and the like operate without any trouble...

Well, I took the LS down to my local body shop, they quoted me 350 for a new assembly installed and matched. I spoke with the head of the shop, ive done bussiness with them before on several occasions, they do great work (cosmetically at least). The handle is on order, he said that he's has seen this before, he claimed that someone may have tried to steal my car or somebody put way too much pressure on it. I'm the one who broke it, I wasnt putting any huge amount of pressure on it! I think 350 is really steep but I have to have a door handle, oh well another 350 to keep the LS happy!

VB is correct. The handle for the 92-96 Camry is identical if I recall correctly. I had a 1993 Camry and I am 99.999% sure they are the same. Though some may not know/believe it, there are several parts on a LS400 that are also used in the Toyota Camry. The door locks are also the same, as are some of the interior switches/buttons.

Good luck.