99 LS400 Timing

Shensai

Hey there. I am doing the timing belt on my 99 LS400. I set the timing to 0 degrees not knowing about moving it an additional 50. When I took the timing belt off, the passenger cam phaser moved clockwise 1 tooth and the driver cam phaser moved a few teeth counterclockwise. Can I move the phaser/gear back to the timing marks? How can I verify it is in time?

Edited by Shensai

My suggestion, get it towed to a good Lexus shop and have them fix this. Someone that actually knows what they are doing will have no problems getting it organised. Based on your post, you do not have adequate skills for this job and if you get it wrong you are going to ruin your motor completely. It will make the tow bill and repair cost seem like chump change.

57 minutes ago, Dean2 said:

My suggestion, get it towed to a good Lexus shop and have them fix this. Someone that actually knows what they are doing will have no problems getting it organised. Based on your post, you do not have adequate skills for this job and if you get it wrong you are going to ruin your motor completely. It will make the tow bill and repair cost seem like chump change.

I’m sorry, let me reword it. How can I verify it is in time? Can I move the phasers/gears back to the alignment marks? I’m confident in my abilities to correct this as I have rebuild older engines before and have been doing my own mechanical works for decades.

Because the VVTi engine is an interference design, you need to be really careful about rotating the crankshaft and cams around with the timing belt off or if the old belt was removed with the marks mis-aligned.

To confirm, the sequence of events as you described are:

1. You confirmed that the crankshaft timing mark and the camshaft timing marks were all aligned with their respective reference marks.
  2. You failed to rotate the crankshaft 50-degrees (timing mark now pointing at the idler pulley bolt).
  3. You then removed the timing belt.
  4. Now the camshaft pulleys do not align with their marks (a few teeth off).

Failing to do No. 2 above shouldn't be a deal, provided you didn't willy-nilly start rotating the crank and cams around.

Edit: did you remove the crankshaft pulley?

Installing the new timing belt with the crank at 0-degrees and the camshaft marks lined up, you should be OK.  Moving the cam pulleys a few teeth either way should also be fine.

Just make sure you thread the new timing belt on per the Lexus service manual.  You want the timing belt slack to end up on the tensioner pulley belt run.

You confirm valve timing by rotating the crankshaft (with the belt and tensioner installed), two revolutions.  The timing marks should again line up.  DO NOT rotate the crankshaft CCW.  Be aware for any interference when rotating the crankshaft (it helps to have the spark plugs removed).

Edited by paulo57509

• 3 weeks later...