New member here

Tina L

I seem to be having major issues with my hood scratching. I have only hand washed it myself and definitely not doing anything out of the ordinary. I have even taken it back to Lexus twice and they did buff it out.

Now here we are about a month later and it is scratched again. All are surface scratches but is this something common with lexus? I have never owned a car that scratched so easy. Lexus tells me they have no idea what is going on. Also, my car is garage kept and I even started covering it. 

Scratches do not appear without a cause. Something or someone is causing the damage either at home or at work. Put a hidden camera watching the car or leave your dash cam running and I will bet you find out what it is.

I agree. I plan on installing a camera in my garage this week. With that being said It seems like the car scratches so easy. I was not sure if that coating they put on it has something to do with it.

Many years ago, I noticed scratches on my car's hood. It turns out that the neighbor's cat would climb and it, and when startled by one us, opening the door, the cat would scramble off the hood, trying to get traction with its nails.

There are at least a couple of ways washing a vehicle can cause scratches.
1. If your bucket does not have a dirt strainer, granules of sand can become trapped in a microfiber towel, and subsequently result in scratched in the paint's clear coat.
Car Wash Grit Sandstone Isolation Net Insert Water Bucket Scratch Dirt Filter Cleaning Car Filter Accessories,temu

2. Insufficient car wash suds: 

• 2 weeks later...

X2 on the cat thing.

Maybe a ceramic coating will help. Pricey but really tough. 

My buddy washes his car with spray foam and a low pressure power washer. He swears by it. 

4 hours ago, Bykfixer said:

X2 on the cat thing.

My buddy washes his car with spray foam and a low pressure power washer. He swears by it. 

Definitely not a cat

4 hours ago, Bykfixer said:

X2 on the cat thing.

It's definitely not a cat. My car is garaged kept and I do not work. I also use chemical guys spray foam and that stuff has been great. Lexus put some type of coating on my car and I swear that is making it super easy to scratch. At this point I just need to get the scraches buffed out. This is the second time in 4 months so it is weird 🙂

Dust can contain a lot of microscopic objects that can cause scratches just by driving but it sounds like there's something about the coating on your car is easily damaged. 

I totally agree about the coating. I have brought it up to Lexus and they skinmed over that but I have a feeling it is the coating.