High Frequency Whine from Stereo 04' RX330

Hello Everyone,  

I'm looking for some assistance.  I have an 2004 RX330 with a stereo that emits an extremely high pitched whine - the frequency of the sound will change  when moving the radio dial and reaches frequencies that my old ears cannot register, but others can hear it.   The stereo itself appears to be fine - stations tune, CD/Tape will load & eject.   The sound occurs whether the car is running or not running.    I have had some instances where the high frequency whine will become strong static and one time in the past few months the radio actually emitted music but with extreme static - and then it immediately returned to the high frequency sound.  I did some googling and I started focusing on the amplifier - I would be interested in whether others agree with this ?   I actually got to the amplifier today, I removed the wiring harness plugged it back in - I got some static then back to a high frequency sound.    Question - Does this sound like an amplifier issue ?   I pulled it out of the car - is there a way of testing it ?   should I replace  ?    Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.   Thank you 

Amplifier = Toyota PIONEER GM-8337ZT 

You may have ground loop interference. A ground loop can be caused by an ungrounded audio connection which will pick up the electrical frequency from the alternator. This frequency is then transmitted to a whining sound through the speakers in the car, which will get higher and louder the higher the engine is revved.

If this is a stock radio I would replace it with a used one from a used parts yard. The price shouldn't be too high given the year of your rx. Probably a capacitor or etc. gone bad, not worth trying to chase it unless you are a electronics geek.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine too. Same thing only I have 06 Lexus RX330.  Hope u get some answers so I can read & learn possible reasons and/or fixes. 
Kristen. 

Great suggestion. I can definitely check a few yards to find one. Problem is I’ve not taken out a stereo & installed new unit in over 3 decades. Back in my late teens & early 20s. I’m pretty intimidated just by the thought of. Ha ha. I’m all ears for suggestions tips tricks simple step etc. 

greatly appreciate any info. 

Edited by DDJake70

I ordered an amplifier on eBay a few days ago - I'll let you know whether it resolves the issue once I get it installed.   Thanks

Update:   Replaced amplifier and stereo sounds great.  Found used amp on eBay for about $95 shipped.  Amplifier can be removed via backseat passenger side.  It's four screws holding it in - not the easiest location to work but definitely doable.   Two wiring harnesses are just plug and play.  Good luck