Question Regarding D2R Bulbs

paulo57509

I have no frame of reference, hence the question.

I recently purchased two Hella D2R bulbs (HID).  Upon close examination, I noticed some "spatter" inside the capsule where the arc is produced (images of both bulbs attached).  Is what I'm seeing part of the manufacturing process or final QC (lighting/alignment) check?  One of the bulb boxes shows evidence that one bulb was a return to seller.  However, both bulbs show the same spatter.

Is what I'm seeing normal for new bulbs?  There is no evidence of previous installation on the connector ends.

20231103_115519_resized.thumb.jpg.18b2563bf44efdbd38a613d489dc2fa8.jpg20231103_113828_resized.thumb.jpg.dce0d2d71d9217581c186c40f1355da5.jpg

Left - Unopened box                                                                                          Right - Opened box

It's difficult to find anything definitive regarding the stuff that's inside the arc chamber.   What information that's out there is that it's metallic salts that is used to increase the intensity (and color temp) of the arc.

I did purchase another pair of bulbs from another source and these bulbs also have the same appearance as the ones in my original post.  I'm going to call their presence as typical.