A wheel tough choice

Frank DUva

• Contributor
  • First Name:Frank
  • Lexus Model: 2002 SC430
  • Year: 2001

I would greatly appreciate all the participation of Lexus fans on choosing what wheel to replace my stock rims, which I love, for my 2002 SC430. I want larger sidewalls so I decided to go with a 16" or 17" wheel. I'm trying to maintain same tire specs as much as possible, more importantly offset and overall Dia. so I'm sticking with the following refurbished Lexus Wheels. Please let me know what you think.      Thanks

wired.jpg

idealwheels.jpg

16isit.jpg

• Like 1

Your wheels have to clear the rotors. You can stay the same size wheel and just go to a tire with more sidewall.

From what you show in pictures I would keep looking, Try looking into TSW.

I looked and my car has 245/40ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.  They ride ok but I think more sidewall would ride better.  I have a VW that has this same tire size and the ride isn't nearly as good as my Lexus.

19 hours ago, Frank DUva said:

I may stay with my wheels and go to a 235/45-18 tire, I want to stay as original as I can. 

Do you know how your struts are?   I'm planning on doing mine in this coming year.

I believe mine are still fine. I had a reputable shop give the car a complete inspection when changing my timing belt and they said everything was good except tie rod bushings were worn, so had them replace them. Every now and then though I feel a sharp rap in the right rear when going over medium type bump. I'm going to have Belle Tire give the wheels a high speed balance job soon so I will have them look at them.

• 3 months later...

I think the 2nd one fits the style more than the other two, and they are rims from a 2003 Lexus LS430 so they maintain all stock SC430 wheel specs except they are 17" rims instead of 18". If I mount 245/45-17's it will give me correct tire dia. and 1/2" taller sidewalls for I hope a noticeable improvement in ride quality.

If

235/45/18 is standard OEM

235/50/17 will be less than .3% smaller than OEM

255/45/17 will be 1.1% smaller than OEM

265/45/17 will be .2% bigger than OEM

225/55/17 will be 1.6% bigger than OEM

I do not know how wide the rims are but at the time when car was built rims usually were rather narrow, so my choice would be 225/55/17 which would then have speedometer showing closer to correct speed on the road. That would make the wheels still have room enough without making the arches wider.

Not to talk about how much more comfortable the higher profile would make the ride, and open roof cars are made to enjoy the surrounding landscape, not to use for track days (in my opinion).

The OEM wheel size is 18 x 7.5, the OEM tire size is 245/40-18, The 2003 Lexus rim is 17 x 7.5, a 245/45-17 tire will match overall tire specs. except for sidewall height, 1/2 in. taller which makes tire diameter 25.7, same as SC430 OEM diameter. I just drive my car for pleasure with the original, in working order, Mark Levinson stereo playing and top down on beautiful days. No track. It's really a GT, not an SC.

29 minutes ago, Frank DUva said:

The OEM wheel size is 18 x 7.5, the OEM tire size is 245/40-18, The 2003 Lexus rim is 17 x 7.5, a 245/45-17 tire will match overall tire specs. except for sidewall height, 1/2 in. taller which makes tire diameter 25.7, same as SC430 OEM diameter. I just drive my car for pleasure with the original, in working order, Mark Levinson stereo playing and top down on beautiful days. No track. It's really a GT, not an SC.

If you take 7½ x 2.5 you get 187.5 meaning that tyres much wider than 225 will be very bulky. Which is popular.

In my opinion 245 tyres should be on 9" and not 7½" wheels. I know that many cannot get tyres wide enough, but then again, some also cannot get rear spoilers big enough.

Have been selling tyres, have been driving rally. First education was in MB and Volvo.

245/40/18 - OEM                                                                                

245/45/17 - will be .1% smaller - no problem at all

225/50/17 - will be .5% bigger - no problem at all

It is your car and whatever you think best, is what you should have. The SC is a beautiful car as it came from factory.

I changed wheels from OEM to forged wheels on MR2 Spyder and had wider rims on rear with wider tyres as well, front I left OEM size; had adjustable shock absorbers in and the car was suddenly sporty. Twice as much fun on narrow mountain roads. Toyota made a nice little open car, but they made it the way they think most would like it. After it was changed it was hard to find out which was most fun – the Spyder or the Smart Roadster my wife had. Now when no longer having these cars I miss driving in the Smart most.

image.thumb.png.b213ffd6ea529f3394d249207913f54f.png

1 minute ago, Frank DUva said:

wow, nice car. Never saw it before. Looks like a concept

Agreed!! Pretty cool looking and I've never seen one either!

16 hours ago, Frank DUva said:

Yes, what you say makes sense, but I like the idea of keeping it as close to stock as possible to keep the dynamics built into the design remains.

I'm going to agree with you, I wouldn't mind some new chrome wheels, these painted silver stockers don't do much for me. But I personally would stick with stock size as I like the way this car looks and handles.

IMG_0523.thumb.JPG.b4f74d8ee8d685174d00b9321a454471.JPG

That saddle color interior makes for a sharp combo with the red. I'm all in for keeping it stock for the fact the designers went out and broke their usual parameters with this car for a pretty specific product and I think everything about the car says that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frank DUva said:

That saddle color interior makes for a sharp combo with the red. I'm all in for keeping it stock for the fact the designers went out and broke their usual parameters with this car for a pretty specific product and I think everything about the car says that.

We looked for quite a while to find the color combo we liked. Upon initial research we were looking for a 2006 or newer for the upgrades they had made but found out that after 2005 the Absolute Red was no longer available. We did not want a black interior due to the heat inside with the top down, we had just sold a Honda S2000 with the black interior and it cooked us whenever the top was down. Also didn't like the Ecru interior, the seats were fine but the carpet in the cars we looked at was always soiled looking due to the very light color. When we saw this combo we were sold, had to drive 500 miles to get it but it was worth it to us.

And yes, stock works for us too! Heck it's even got brand new set of run flats on it, and to me they seem fine. Telling the wife the other day how well it tracked going down the road! Really liking this new old little car!

19 hours ago, Frank DUva said:

wow, nice car. Never saw it before. Looks like a concept

Sharp precise direct steering, exceptional handling, rear wheel drive, tiny turbo engine that could get the very light car around corners better than anything else I have been driving; except the Lancia Delta EVO 2 Rally, but that was not really street legal.

This was one of the drawings for the concept version:

image.thumb.png.262d9cb8c1748d948a892e779a0374b7.png   

They also made a Brabus Smart V6 Biturbo of the same car, but never got to sell the car.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a Honda S2000 before this car, talk about a lightweight screamer!!  And the handling was incredible!

I like that smart roadster up there you posted, very cool!

• Like 1